Hobart Barracks, Detmold

Just in by email, anyone able to help?

Hello hope you can help. My dad was in 661 Sqn AAC in the 60's and stayed at Hobart Barracks. He's recently asked me to find out what happened to a boulder that was near the entrance to the blue beret club. It had a swastika and ace of spades on it and was painted black.

Do you know anyone who may have info and pictures?

Please do. I'll also mention the FB group to the person who sent the email

In fact, get the individual to request to join both groups and I'll approve it. If I post in there, cover is blown!

661 Squadron Army Air Corps reunion 2015.

In fact, get the individual to request to join both groups and I'll approve it. If I post in there, cover is blown!

661 Army Air Corps Squadron reunion 2015.
Poof!

I'm only aware of one 661 group, what's t'other?

Detmold stone in cellar.jpg

I was with 655 Sqn LAD at the time and remember the original BBC well.

When the RMPs kicked us out and took over the block we had to leave it there. We tried, but we couldn't shift the b*gger out of the cellar.

Sorry to be late to this thread.

Worth punting this over to the Provost, since 114 Coy appropriated the original AAC accommodation. Although only an infrequent guest of their bar (interview suites being another matter entirely) I can't recall seeing it in situ, but it was very dark in their cellar.

Perhaps contacting the vicar at Holy Trinity church Bungay might shed some light on the subject; The Rev. Ian Byrne is a former RMP Captain and AAC pilot.

Last edited: