HMY Britannia Mk2 Rears her Beautiful Head once again!

I’ll get shot down, but I feel they should take the old RYB and gut her.
She’s such an iconic vessel and recognised around the world. Why not do the ultimate upcycle.
Pull her apart and refit her with all the latest British technology and systems. She’d become a floating tech shop, she could also be furnished with British companies.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
The embuggerance is that the 'old' Britannia was used as a stick to beat the Royals with, notwithstanding its role as a floating 'ambassador' for UK Ltd.
Imagine the howls if a new one is commissioned.
Anyways, who'd use it? Phil the Greek was a keen sailor, but apart from Meghan, who else in the RF has shown an interest in sailing of late?
Well there's a certain T. Lawrence and his good lady, both very much of the damp socks fraternity, whether they still own their sailing yacht and whether it is still berthed in --------- in Scotland I don't know. The Princess Royal has been a very keen sailor, but keeps a low profile, allegedly.

Yokel

LE
She’s such an iconic vessel and recognised around the world. Why not do the ultimate upcycle.
Pull her apart and refit her with all the latest British technology and systems. She’d become a floating tech shop, she could also be furnished with British companies.

I expect that her internal design and hull form would make that very difficult, and expensive. Not to mention that fact that one of the aims of the new flagship is to show off British naval architecture and shipbuilding.

Did HMY Britannia get fitted with stabilisers during a refit? Were her boilers ever modified to run on diesel and not Furnace Fuel Oil?

He’s a bright bloke, and sharp on the money front, but (I think) has never been involved in the physical procurement of anything…
I wouldn't necessarily hold that against him . . . considering the absolute bollocks of a job being done elsewhere, within Govt/MoD by supposed procurement "experts" :( .

endure

GCM
She's 67 years old. How long do you think that a machine that's spent that long in what is a corrosive substance is going to last before she drops to bits?

How much do you think it would cost to refurb her compared to building a new ship with all the latest technology?

Given the choice would you buy a 60 year old car and pay to have it brought up to scratch with all the latest safety features and modern fittings or would you just pop down to your local dealer and buy a new one?

He’s an interesting choice: to the best of my knowledge, he’s never done a procurement job.

But he drove a 42, and can give a bloody good bollocking. So there’s that.
Not the warfairy 2*, recently announced as leading the Shipbuilding office. He would have some excuse. It was the engineering 2* in Ship Acq. Who should have no excuse.

Latest Threads