HMS York returns from 27,000-mile deployment

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Guess what happens next...
  3. have you seen the photo of the shore battery salute! First of all what in blazers are they wearing, and secondly that gun wouldn't stop a pedalo!
  4. They're all the stig and I claim my £50

As for HMS York now it's safely back when's it going on e-bay?
  5. Not a pair of ear defenders in sight! Neither the Commissionaire nor the Ku Klux Klan.
  6. Must have been rough.(not)
  7. Are those suits to save them from having to find a white flag if they come accross Iranian gun boats, they just wave the duty sprog at them ?
  8. For the benefit of non-RN visitors to this forum, the members of the gun crews working in close proximity to the breeches are wearing standard flame-resistant action coveralls with anti-flash hoods and gloves, as worn on board a ship in defence watches and at action stations.

RN bridge at Action Stations.jpg
    RN ship's bridge team at Action Stations
    Anti-flash hoods and gloves were routinely worn in action for most of the 20th Century. However, the coveralls were developed as a result of lessons learned during the Falklands conflict and help prevent the hideous 'flash burns' experienced in the event of an explosion (remember the Welsh Guards at Bluff Cove?) by reflecting the intense initial 'white heat'. Anything nylon worn underneath is a definite no-no too. Gun crew members are also wearing protective earplugs instead of headphone-type ear defenders.

The ceremonial guns mounted at Fort Blockhouse (link to video) at the entrance to Portsmouth harbour are Hotchkiss QF 3 pdrs. They were introduced into service in 1886 for shipborne and coastal use against torpedo boats, and later U-boats, but also saw honourable service on board trawlers and merchant ships in both world wars.

A video showing the equivalent saluting battery at Plymouth in action is available here.

"If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire One!... If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire Two!..."
  9. I beg to differ:

HMS York in the South Atlantic.jpg
    HMS York in the South Atlantic
  10. Anyone got a link to the auction?
  11. Maybe her retirement has been brought forward... ...or perhaps she has sunk. Either way, MoD has disconnected the link from the original post.
  12. Maybe they've worked out these feeds aren't good news threads.

13. Sorry, this page cannot be found...

Unfortunately the page you have requested cannot be found or does not exist in this site.

This may be because:

the web address (URL) was entered incorrectly; please check that the address is correct
    the ship has been moved to another location or has been deleted
    the page was published on a previous version of Ministry of Defence | home
    • Like Like x 2