HMS York returns from 27,000-mile deployment

Ministry of Defence said:
HMS York returned to cheering crowds of families and well-wishers at Portsmouth Naval Base last week following a varied and wide-ranging deployment to the South Atlantic and Libya.

More...

They're all the stig and I claim my £50

As for HMS York now it's safely back when's it going on e-bay?

have you seen the photo of the shore battery salute! First of all what in blazers are they wearing, and secondly that gun wouldn't stop a pedalo!
Not a pair of ear defenders in sight! Neither the Commissionaire nor the Ku Klux Klan.

Must have been rough.(not)

Are those suits to save them from having to find a white flag if they come accross Iranian gun boats, they just wave the duty sprog at them ?

For the benefit of non-RN visitors to this forum, the members of the gun crews working in close proximity to the breeches are wearing standard flame-resistant action coveralls with anti-flash hoods and gloves, as worn on board a ship in defence watches and at action stations.

RN bridge at Action Stations.jpg
RN ship's bridge team at Action Stations
Anti-flash hoods and gloves were routinely worn in action for most of the 20th Century. However, the coveralls were developed as a result of lessons learned during the Falklands conflict and help prevent the hideous 'flash burns' experienced in the event of an explosion (remember the Welsh Guards at Bluff Cove?) by reflecting the intense initial 'white heat'. Anything nylon worn underneath is a definite no-no too. Gun crew members are also wearing protective earplugs instead of headphone-type ear defenders.

The ceremonial guns mounted at Fort Blockhouse (link to video) at the entrance to Portsmouth harbour are Hotchkiss QF 3 pdrs. They were introduced into service in 1886 for shipborne and coastal use against torpedo boats, and later U-boats, but also saw honourable service on board trawlers and merchant ships in both world wars.

A video showing the equivalent saluting battery at Plymouth in action is available here.

"If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire One!... If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire Two!..."

Sorry, this page cannot be found...

Unfortunately the page you have requested cannot be found or does not exist in this site.

This may be because:

the web address (URL) was entered incorrectly; please check that the address is correct
the ship has been moved to another location or has been deleted
the page was published on a previous version of Ministry of Defence | home

Sorry, this page cannot be found...

Unfortunately the page you have requested cannot be found or does not exist in this site.

This may be because:

the web address (URL) was entered incorrectly; please check that the address is correct
the ship has been moved to another location or has been deleted
the page was published on a previous version of Ministry of Defence | home
Never mind. The Naval Service tends to keep its ships and people fairly busy so you only have to go back a year for her last homecoming from a lengthy deployment. I hope this is an adequate substitute:

MOD website 14 Jun 2010 said:
HMS York has returned home to cheering crowds and delighted families following a busy few months patrolling the South Atlantic. The Portsmouth-based warship, a Type 42 destroyer, was deployed at the end of November and sailed to ports including Gibraltar, the Cape Verde Islands, Brazil and the Canary Islands before arriving at the Falkland Islands in January 2010.

While stationed in the South Atlantic Overseas Territories, HMS York provided reassurance to the local people and acted as a deterrent. She also took part in a joint exercise with her affiliated Army regiment, the Yorkshire Regiment, members of the 1st Battalion of which (1 YORKS) were stationed on the islands. The destroyer's gun fired 100 rounds of high explosive ordnance in support of members of 1 YORKS during the exercise, some of the 1,000 rounds fired in total.

Several air defence exercises were also held with RAF Typhoon aircraft...

Bloody hell! That's so similar, you'd think the Navy operates a scheduled cruise service.

I suppose, in reality, that's more or less the bread and butter of what they do.

For the benefit of non-RN visitors to this forum, the members of the gun crews working in close proximity to the breeches are wearing standard flame-resistant action coveralls with anti-flash hoods and gloves, as worn on board a ship in defence watches and at action stations.

View attachment 46337
RN ship's bridge team at Action Stations
Anti-flash hoods and gloves were routinely worn in action for most of the 20th Century. However, the coveralls were developed as a result of lessons learned during the Falklands conflict and help prevent the hideous 'flash burns' experienced in the event of an explosion (remember the Welsh Guards at Bluff Cove?) by reflecting the intense initial 'white heat'. Anything nylon worn underneath is a definite no-no too. Gun crew members are also wearing protective earplugs instead of headphone-type ear defenders.

The ceremonial guns mounted at Fort Blockhouse (link to video) at the entrance to Portsmouth harbour are Hotchkiss QF 3 pdrs. They were introduced into service in 1886 for shipborne and coastal use against torpedo boats, and later U-boats, but also saw honourable service on board trawlers and merchant ships in both world wars.

A video showing the equivalent saluting battery at Plymouth in action is available here.

"If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire One!... If I wasn't a Gunner I wouldn't be here, Fire Two!..."
It also has the added advantage of them being suitably attired in the event that Godzilla emerges from the oggin.

my wife and i went on the HMS YORK when my son was on her,, its scarey to think that when a hole is found they use some kind of "concrete" to keep her afloat.. brill time on her,,treated us like royalty..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 16
MoD_RSS Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS Royal Navy 1