Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Westminster

Rab_C

War Hero
Grand Harbour, Valletta...?

Speaking of rust, I got on this toilet after I'd finished on the ol' tub I was stood on when I took this...
View attachment 491704
You did time on the Goose?
A slight thread deviation, I was reading a thread on Rum Ration about the Argie submarine Santa Fe and learnt that Goosander was involved in the attempted salvage of her in South Georgia.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
You did time on the Goose?
A slight thread deviation, I was reading a thread on Rum Ration about the Argie submarine Santa Fe and learnt that Goosander was involved in the attempted salvage of her in South Georgia.
Yep - and this one...

...which now looks like this:-

Having just been a lot closer to HMS WESTMINSTER than the OP and seeing her myself I can say that the rust streaks on her hull are from the upper deck scupper and discharge overboard valves. There is no way that they would be painted at sea.
Even brand new ships are going to have marks from the scupper if the discharge runs down the side.
Westminster has been worked hard recently. Give her crew a break.
Have you not seen how minging most vehicles are during exercises before they get cleaned on completion?

Having just been a lot closer to HMS WESTMINSTER than the OP and seeing her myself I can say that the rust streaks on her hull are from the upper deck scupper and discharge overboard valves. There is no way that they would be painted at sea.
Even brand new ships are going to have marks from the scupper if the discharge runs down the side.
Have you not seen how minging most vehicles are during exercises before they get cleaned on completion?

Want to try cleaning them! Great fun with the jet wash, less so with a singe and bucket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modern RN ships are highly automated and consequently have less manpower on-board, so maintenance tasks (preventative and corrective) are prioritised. Don't know what it was like in your day but there ain't that many in a frigate's Core Complement these days:

ETA: Leander Class - 260 (Wiki)
Duke Class (T23) - 185 (RN website)
City Class (T26) - even less! (Need to know, currently)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
An interesting subject.

1765: HMS VICTORY - 3,500 tons - 800 crew​
1945: HMS CARYSFORT - 2,500 tons - 186 crew​
1963: HMS LEANDER - 3,200 tons - 266 crew​
1975: HMS SHEFFIELD - 4,350 tons - 253 crew​
1994: HMS WESTMINSTER - 4,900 tons - 185 crew​
2009: HMS DARING - 8,500 tons - 191 crew​

For the pedantic, read “ship’s company” for “crew”.

I imagine the ratio of officers, WOs & senior rates to junior rates has gradually moved from something like 1:50 in VICTORY to 1:2 in DARING (mostly technical trades) but I would appreciate any more accurate figures.

... the rust streaks on her hull are from the upper deck scupper and discharge overboard valves. There is no way that they would be painted at sea.
Even brand new ships are going to have marks from the scupper if the discharge runs down the side...
Couldn't simply pour some grey paint down the scupper and out the discharge overboard valves?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I never painted anything on exercise*, not even on ops.

*not even that patch of suspiciously new looking paint that appeared on a landrover the morning after a remarkably loud 'clang' was heard followed by someone shouting 'bollocks' almost straight away

aardvark64

War Hero
Modern RN ships are highly automated and consequently have less manpower on-board, so maintenance tasks (preventative and corrective) are prioritised. Don't know what it was like in your day but there ain't that many in a frigate's Core Complement these days:

ETA: Leander Class - 260 (Wiki)
Duke Class (T23) - 185 (RN website)
City Class (T26) - even less! (Need to know, currently)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
T31, even less (also ntk)

clanky

War Hero
1 Ships no longer have the manpower.
2 Port visits tend to be shorter, and tend to include activities that preclude having a gang of dabbers making the music of the chipping hammer.
3 Paint systems are maintained according to a plan. Cosmetic painting is not encouraged.
4 Uncontrolled upper deck painting can add top weight and exacerbate existing defects.

An interesting subject.

1765: HMS VICTORY - 3,500 tons - 800 crew​
1945: HMS CARYSFORT - 2,500 tons - 186 crew​
1963: HMS LEANDER - 3,200 tons - 266 crew​
1975: HMS SHEFFIELD - 4,350 tons - 253 crew​
1994: HMS WESTMINSTER - 4,900 tons - 185 crew​
2009: HMS DARING - 8,500 tons - 191 crew​

For the pedantic, read “ship’s company” for “crew”.

I imagine the ratio of officers, WOs & senior rates to junior rates has gradually moved from something like 1:50 in VICTORY to 1:2 in DARING (mostly technical trades) but I would appreciate any more accurate figures.

HMS QNLZ supply department:

AB- 12
LH- 5
PO- 3
CPO- 2
WO1- 1

Writers Department
AB- 4
LH- 3
PO- 3
CPO- 1

HMS DARING Supply department:
AB- 2
LH- 2
PO- 1

HMS WESTMINSTER Supply department
AB- 2
LH- 2
PO- 1

Writers Department
AB- 2
LH-1
PO- 1

These are off top of my head but I’d say you’re about right for these non technical ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi
This frigate has been anchored in Torbay over the week-end and if this ship demonstrates the standards of the Royal Navy, then all I can say is thank goodness we have an Army.

When warships were fighting in the South Atlantic, appearance played second fiddle, but this week-end there was clearly no fiddle player on that ship!! I thing looked so tired on the outside, what must it look like on the inside?

A couple of years ago we were crossing the Bay of Biscay, and it saddens me to say we saw two Chinese frigates plus tenders, all sailing south. These ships were immaculate, not a trace of rust or 'tired' paintwork. What has happened to our once senior service? Are we not proud of our ships? Do we not take frigate in our home?

If it don't move paint it
If it does move, salute itView attachment 491262

Is this ship off to the breakers?
I haven't read the previous 15 pages of outrage - but plainly you've never been aboard one of Brenda's lithe ocean greyhounds in that there RealLife
(TM)
?

The RN cleaning routine makes Maccy Dee look like a bunch of slovenly drunken Croatian militia*.
Having spent time on both RN and Army sea-going vessels all I can say is

Youse gotta be jokin' , ken ?

Mattb said:
Especially with the whole no-booze thing

Get with the beat Daddio - USN ships get a beer issue after a straight 30 days at sea....qv rusty 'Church Key'
(Urban USN legend has it that the last time this happened , the beer in question had been so long in store it required an old style can opener to get amongst)

*[ Stop....wait...what? Plse speak? Ed.]

Last edited:

Latest Threads