HMS Westminster

Hi
This frigate has been anchored in Torbay over the week-end and if this ship demonstrates the standards of the Royal Navy, then all I can say is thank goodness we have an Army.

When warships were fighting in the South Atlantic, appearance played second fiddle, but this week-end there was clearly no fiddle player on that ship!! I thing looked so tired on the outside, what must it look like on the inside?

A couple of years ago we were crossing the Bay of Biscay, and it saddens me to say we saw two Chinese frigates plus tenders, all sailing south. These ships were immaculate, not a trace of rust or 'tired' paintwork. What has happened to our once senior service? Are we not proud of our ships? Do we not take frigate in our home?

If it don't move paint it
If it does move, salute it
Westminster.jpg

Is this ship off to the breakers?

Rab_C

LE
Hi
This frigate has been anchored in Torbay over the week-end and if this ship demonstrates the standards of the Royal Navy, then all I can say is thank goodness we have an Army.

When warships were fighting in the South Atlantic, appearance played second fiddle, but this week-end there was clearly no fiddle player on that ship!! I thing looked so tired on the outside, what must it look like on the inside?

A couple of years ago we were crossing the Bay of Biscay, and it saddens me to say we saw two Chinese frigates plus tenders, all sailing south. These ships were immaculate, not a trace of rust or 'tired' paintwork. What has happened to our once senior service? Are we not proud of our ships? Do we not take frigate in our home?

If it does move, salute itView attachment 491262

Did you join the site just to slag off the RN, try posting this on Rum Ration.

Hi

The Senior Service is senior by virtue of longevity, not tidiness. Do you have any other views we might find of interest. You know, how 'the youth of today could do with a spell in the Army', and horseshit like that?
If not, thanks for coming.
But before you go, what in the name of all things small and furry does this mean: "Do we not take frigate in our home?"

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
In the past, any ship moored up in Torbay waiting for orders, the crew would come ashore and gravitate to the oldest Torquay pub "The Hole in the Wall". Sadly those days are long gone, the Hole made lots of dosh for the RNLI by charging to sign the ceiling. It was my local when I lived there. It has been totally ruined by being turned into a gastropub and changed beyond all recognition.

Mattb

LE
Do we not take frigate in our home?
Well I certainly don't; the RN would likely be very unhappy (think how much they lost their shit over private use of a Ford Galaxy) and my garage isn't big enough anyway.

D

Deleted 3147

Hi

Sorry, that is just a dumb post or you're trolling. Either way, it's dumb.

offog

LE
A friend of mine ex navy from many years ago commented on just this point. On the way into port they painted the side that would be seen and when in port they painted the other side for the outward trip.

Edited to add - Now Jack has more important things to do then bang on the side of the ship and add new paint.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm sure that getting Jack to needlessly paint the ship to keep the grokels happy is a retention positive task. If I were the OP, I'd complain to the First Sea Lord.

Just wait till the OP finds out that there's no written order for the appearance and consumption of sandwiches in the wardroom and other messing areas. Nor an enforcement policy by the crushers.

In the past, any ship moored up in Torbay waiting for orders, the crew would come ashore and gravitate to the oldest Torquay pub "The Hole in the Wall". Sadly those days are long gone, the Hole made lots of dosh for the RNLI by charging to sign the ceiling. It was my local when I lived there. It has been totally ruined by being turned into a gastropub and changed beyond all recognition.

Used to frequent a bar in Palau, Sardinia. Now it called the “Villanova Cafe”’.It is on the quayside just where the US Navy used to bring in the tenders that were used to take the personnel from Palau , where their quarters were to either the Navy base on La Madallena and the Sub base on Santo Stefano.

It was a favorite stop over for all US ships and boats who were passing through the Med.

The bar had a free drink policy if you gave them your Navy ships baseball cap. Which they would nail to the wall/ceiling.

As Brit Army we had many “new” different Baseball caps made for our monthly trip up to the NX.

We also used to go up for a week or two diving every month or so.

Last edited:
Old ships.

Obviously when I was in charge of her upper deck she was gleaming; no allegations of long term systematic neglect please!

Mattb

LE
Just wait till the OP finds out that there's no written order for the appearance and consumption of sandwiches in the wardroom and other messing areas. Nor an enforcement policy by the crushers.
Hopefully there will be a memo about biscuits along at some point.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hi

See that pointy thing on the deck, will take your eyeout at a mile.

Then you won’t be arsed what it looks like will you?

Hi

You're either a troll or just dense.

Ships don't routinely dangle their sailors over the side to slap a bit of paint on just so the locals can see a pretty ship on the very rare occasions it's anchored off a town.

The sea is a harsh working environment and takes its toll on a vessel, particularly on the paintwork. It happens to all ships. Upper deck maintenance is routine but there's next to nothing that can be done to prevent deterioration to the paintwork on the ship's side whilst it's under way. Once it is back in port they'll pull a paint cat alongside and carry out the necessary maintenance.

Latest Threads