Builds HMS Westminster type 23 Frigate 1/350th scale Trumpeter kit

D

Deleted 136127

when I get to a certain level of Competence, I'm going to make Tamiya's 1/48 Swordfish Biplane, and not make a mess of it this time. I'm placing it into a glass case and placing it on the sideboard. I have no family connections to the plane, but having read so much about it and the type of men that crewed it, and the spirit and determination they showed, it will be my tribute to them. Probably in about twenty kits time.

you may recall I picked up one in 1/32. It’s one of the best kits Trumpeter have ever done apparently

Boxy

GCM
when I get to a certain level of Competence, I'm going to make Tamiya's 1/48 Swordfish Biplane, and not make a mess of it this time. I'm placing it into a glass case and placing it on the sideboard. I have no family connections to the plane, but having read so much about it and the type of men that crewed it, and the spirit and determination they showed, it will be my tribute to them. Probably in about twenty kits time.
So next week then?

you may recall I picked up one in 1/32. It’s one of the best kits Trumpeter have ever done apparently
I remember that, what does the wingspan end up as in 1/32?, Mind you, I wonder if they do a folded wing option on your kit, that would look great on a scratchbuilt lift section, I may look out for one.

trial fit of the parts built so far, it's looking good, plenty of fine details.
trial fit of parts so far b.jpg

further details fitted today, resting my Calf Strain today, so plenty of modelling. Some of the plastic parts are around a mm in size, small lamps and so on.
trial fit of parts so far e.jpg

having airbrushed the parts on the sprue, it needs a lot of touching in to replace the paint loos during construction, where the part is cut off the sprue and where it's sanded smooth over a join between parts.
trial fit of parts so far f.jpg

I'm really enjoying building this, never made a modern fighting ship
trial fit of parts so far g.jpg

D

Deleted 136127

further details fitted today, resting my Calf Strain today, so plenty of modelling. Some of the plastic parts are around a mm in size, small lamps and so on.
View attachment 603471
having airbrushed the parts on the sprue, it needs a lot of touching in to replace the paint loos during construction, where the part is cut off the sprue and where it's sanded smooth over a join between parts.
View attachment 603472
View attachment 603473
That looks to be going together really well and very easily

Old school version - you’re showing the Ship from more than a decade ago.

E2A - I suspect it’s from a c2005 picture. Is she fitted with S2087 in the port quarter of the quarterdeck?

Last edited:
D

Deleted 136127

I remember that, what does the wingspan end up as in 1/32?, Mind you, I wonder if they do a folded wing option on your kit, that would look great on a scratchbuilt lift section, I may look out for one.

Wingspan is about 16" so its as big as a big thing unless the wings are folded.

You'll have to buy from Europe as the early version isn't available in the UK anymore.

Its one I really want to build. Kit looks fantastic

@alfred_the_great. You must have some photos around somewhere.

Would S2087 have been fitted back when the model was produced or would it be an older equipment fit?

Things have changed on those ships a little bit since the model was produced.

Still a blooming good build and I look forward to seeing it finished.

Of WSTR, or T23 in general?

Either way, probably not as many as you’d expect.

My second 23 didn’t have ‘87, and the winchwell was an ace gym. However, by the refits in the first half of the 00s, those that were supposed to have them had them.

The ships in general have remained the same, it’s the impact of the Military Tasking Equipment and/or post-refit changes that add up. For example, you can tell it’s an old reference as the sea boat davits have changed significantly from those seen.

Rab_C

LE
I am pretty sure that Westminster was originally 2031Z, so would have had an elephants asshole midships on build in early 90’s.

one miss match for the kit is the Helicopter, I've seen Gazelle and Lynx in photo's on her, but the kit aircraft represents a Merlin, there's no way this could land on the stern, there's barely enough space for the fuselage let alone the disc.
heli missmatch a.jpg

that's going in the spares box and I'm closing the hanger.
heli missmatch b.jpg

Last edited:
most of the kit parts are now assembled, just these antenna parts laying on the stern deck to fit on the rearmost mast, then it's time to touch in the colours and paint details, like the white bridge radar. Some of the domes in alternative greys.
most of the kit part fitted a.jpg

the ship now just has final bits and pieces to adjust, like the support struts under the overhanging decks
general view b.jpg

leave this to one side for the decals and final parts to dry. Next up base and glass case.
gv stern.jpg

View attachment 603471
View attachment 603472
View attachment 603473

Very interesting! Are you in fact Mrs Ravers?

I 'm still working on the kit issued name plate, not sure yet if I'm going to use it, what's the best place for it, do you think, Midships?
name plate midships. cjpg.jpg

or Aft, or not at all, which it may well be if I can't improve on it.
name plate aft.jpg

Latest Threads