Builds HMS Westminster type 23 Frigate 1/350th scale Trumpeter kit

This is a commission build for the Mother and father who's son is serving aboard, I don't know them personally, they went through SMC, my local model shop, how I get most of the Commission builds. Picked the kit up from the shop today after she dropped it off.
box top artwork.jpg

first step is adding the deck to the one piece molded hull, very accurate fit.
hull basic.jpg

bow deck fit.jpg

stern clamps.jpg

the hull is 37cm long stem to stern, here it is with all the lower hull parts fitted, ready for primer then a dirty black for the boot topping.
hull ready for primer b.jpg

I've broadly coated the black, then I can apply a thin line for the boot topping, then it won't leave a run line, it'll just be the paint thickness for the hull red
comparison between 23 and dred hulls.jpg

here it is as a direct comparison with the same scale Dreadnaught hull

How much will you charge them for that?

less that £50, the shop has to add a handling charge on top of that so I'm not being greedy.

I painted the hull for the Warspite a bright red, I realize that hull red is a rather dark and red brown colour, not like this at all.
hull unmasked b.jpg

I don’t think fifty quid is greedy at all, considering your time, effort and skill it’s worth quite a bit more.

I don’t think fifty quid is greedy at all, considering your time, effort and skill it’s worth quite a bit more.
thanks, I thing His Dad was going to have a go, took one look into the box,,seeing the PE sheet and thought, no way, kits have changed a bit since I was a lad, see If I can get someone to do this, they're obviously very proud of their son serving in the Andrew, something I can relate to from my own parents, so I'm on this.
pe sheet.jpg

D

Deleted 136127

A lad on here asked me to build a full resin 1/32 plane - I can’t remember what it was now. About 6-8 months work. I do t think he’s recovered from the price yet and I said I’d do it cheap as chips as it was a sentimental build and a lad on here.

I know you know this but bloody hours go into these.

I have the Trumpeter kit for KENT - I imagine they're exactly the same - where did you source the PE?

Oyibo

LE
Cracking idea for a present for their son. I'm sure you'll do it justice.

I have the Trumpeter kit for KENT - I imagine they're exactly the same - where did you source the PE?
it's part of the kit, not an aftermarket accessory. Mind you, the kit does not include railings for the bulwarks, they are very prominent on the box artwork, it's a colour photo of the real ship.

it's part of the kit, not an aftermarket accessory. Mind you, the kit does not include railings for the bulwarks, they are very prominent on the box artwork, it's a colour photo of the real ship.
OK, thanks. My KENT kit doesn't have the same. I'll have a hunt when I have time to approach the model!

The guardrails are pretty prominent, especially on the foc'sle, though you could model those "struck" (lying down inboard) for gunnery or the like.

I'll shut up now and learn.

@Joker62 asked me on the wagon build thread if the Westminster kit was lots of tiny, fiddle parts, and I think he knows more about this kit than me, there are lots of the smallest parts I've ever dealt with, the pe is unbelievably fine, but bends well. The main Radar tower, it's like assembling a cranefly.
the tower pe.jpg

Rather daft of the instructions to place the fine parts so early on in the build.
I'll place that aside while I make some firmer structures for them to stand on.
tower in the can.jpg

the small parts that go on the bow, the cleats are especially hard to tweezer and not ping across the table.
bow fine parts.jpg

A lad on here asked me to build a full resin 1/32 plane - I can’t remember what it was now. About 6-8 months work. I do t think he’s recovered from the price yet and I said I’d do it cheap as chips as it was a sentimental build and a lad on here.

I know you know this but bloody hours go into these.
when I get to a certain level of Competence, I'm going to make Tamiya's 1/48 Swordfish Biplane, and not make a mess of it this time. I'm placing it into a glass case and placing it on the sideboard. I have no family connections to the plane, but having read so much about it and the type of men that crewed it, and the spirit and determination they showed, it will be my tribute to them. Probably in about twenty kits time.

Latest Threads