HMS Westminster deploys to Middle East

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. "The Type 23 frigate will be acting as part of the Royal Navy's standing commitment in the Middle East, providing reassurance to the UK's allies in the region, policing busy shipping lanes and carrying out maritime security and counter-piracy patrols."

Who writes this stuff?

Should we not add "and providing an outreach service for pirates and other criminals so they can be brought back to UK or another country where they can be provided with food, housing and money".

I do hope the crew have all had proper diversity training.

I don't want to detract from the boys and girls who will be crewing HMS Westminster, but a whole frigate covering the Middle East AND the Indian Ocean?

3. Other ships are already there it's on bbc news.
  4. My comment was tongue in cheek, mate. How were the fleshpots of Bangkok?
  5. I've a ball and chain.
  6. =D haven't we all? You need a good cover story!
  7. No escape I've been watched like a hawk.
  8. Slip something in his drink.
  9. Could we retro-fit our incomplete carriers to act as oil tankers, and send them to Iran to nick some oil when the fighting starts?
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

We don't bring pirates to UK for trial for precisely those reasons, plus great uncertainty as to the outcome given our current 'justice' system. Also, we can't land them for trial in any country that still has the death penalty. Kenya and the Seychelles have pirates in such a queue for trial and so forth that they can't take any more. However the interdiction rate has been sufficient to bring the number of incidents way down from what it was a while back, particularly where merchantmen follow good practice such as safe rooms etc., and it has pushed the pirates almost all the way to India. There are three separate task forces on this (NATO, EU and 'Coalition' plus non-joiners such as China and Russia). Command and control is interesting because each nation has rules on what its ships and people can and can't do.

This from a recent authoritative lecture I attended on the subject.
  11. Was that at Warsash?
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Worrying. A shared love of sartorial elegance, the restoration of big old vehicles and now, the ball and chain watching like a hawk in Bangkok. That is three things I have in common with jarrod.

Back on thread - I was reading about this yesterday and came across a sabre rattling vid from the Iranian Navy. Their situation is amusing when you compare their buzzing little boats and scary red mopeds with USS Abe Lincon, USS John Stennis and the assorted supporting warships but one wonders if our strategic planners are aware that Sean Connery has been recruited into the Iranian Navy with the rank of Rear Admiral (at 0.35).

Anybody know what those little green subs are all about?
  13. You've no need to worry my little pumpkin.
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah? Then why do I have that 'someone just walked over my grave' feeling? It might be....

oh shit.
  15. Hopefully with more than 4 Sea Wolf.