HMS Victory - well worth a visit

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Queensman, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday, whilst out on a day trip with Queensboy and following a certain amount of geographical confusion when trying to find Fort Nelson (Royal Armouries), we ended up in the middle of Pompey! Nevermind I thought, whilst looking around to get my bearings, we'll go over there and have a look at that old dockyard. The day ticket for the whole thing was a bit much to spend on a flying visit but I asked if a military discount applied - it turned out that the bearer of an MOD90 can get aboard HMS Victory free!! And take four guests.

So, if you haven't been to see the Victory, I urge you to go. Amazing, and I'm not sure why I haven't been to see her sooner but now I know it's free, I'll be going back again. Very impressive, despite the renovation works ongoing, very humbling and very moving. Heart of Oak indeed. Three cheers for the Andrew. God, it made me proud to be an Englishman, especially so as a party of grotty French schoolkids were also on board.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Glad to see someone appreciating the history of the Andrew- it's the 2nd most popular tourist attraction in the UK (Stonghenge is number 1). Don't suppose you stopped in the Nauticallia shop on the right hand side as you walk through the gate? There's a 30% discount when you flash your MOD90.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It's just a shame it's in Portsmouth.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. A good day out is HMS Victory then the Royal Marines Museum.

Well, kept me occupied till the pubs opened. Good venues.
  5. Funnily enough Queensman HQ is only a few miles from the Henge, yet I've not ever had the inclination to pay to traipse around the fence with thousands of baffled looking Japs - as a small boy, then resident closer to the Henge up the road made of wood, we used to picnic in, on and around the Stones on the way backing from shopping in New Sarum with nothing but fresh air and the odd sheep for company.

Sadly I didn't stop at Nauticalia as it was getting close to closing time when we left, but we certainly clocked it and I've added it to the list for the next trip! Many thanks.

Jolly Jack from the North, have no fear about appreciation of the Andrew from this callsign - Grandpa was RNVR Skipper in the last War and The Queen's Regiment was very Naval: Glorious 1st June was our big day, Loyal Toast drunk seated, Naval Crown on our Colours and an affiliation to HMS Excellent and so on....... Rule Britannia!
  6. Despite being slightly rude about this vessel's skipper recently - - it would appear that he's got quite a lot on his mind at the moment, or at least, he should have! The dear old thing is in pretty poor shape - .

On a visit to her recently I saw the sad sight of this section of the hull removed, fern growing out of the timbers and the other signs of decay. Very sad indeed.
  7. To be fair, she's in decent condition for a 250 year old. And she's seen worse in her life. She was in a collision with a battleship shortly before the outbreak of WW1. Nearly sunk her, and the survey found huge areas of rotting. Hence her move into a dry dock.

She's a fighter.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lacking Moral Fibre

Lacking Moral Fibre Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Was lucky enough years ago to attend a function on HMS Warrior, was very impressed with it if you can ignore the fibre glass cannons, which Victory also has, well worth a visit.
  9. That was the best day out ever....especially when I was 17 and in the middle of basic training.
  10. They should have put HMS Victory inside an environment-controlled building decades ago. IIRC there have been multiple designs for such a building. Its tragic and humiliating that such a national treasure is left exposed to the elements and its eventual demise.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

Nonsense. She's a battleship and she wouldn't be happy in a shed.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Victory was in the news last night as after a massive survey (3d laser scanning etc) apparently the ship has been discovered to be in shite state. It's 'falling in on itself' so they've come up with a plan for more supports and even more conservation work.

I really should get down and see it again as it's only a couple of miles away from me, and I've not been since I was a kid.
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The fibre glass cannon are to reduce the strain on the hull. A 32 pounder comes in (from memory) at a little over 3 tons, the 24 and 18 pounders a bit less. If you take into account that Victory was a 100 gun ship, having the original cannon would have put a considerable strain on the hull.

The hull shape partially reflected that. It narrowed as it rose from the waterline - called tumblehome.
    The ideas was guns higher from the waterline were closer to the ships centre line and thus improved stability.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Queensman, there is a huge antiques shop opposite Nauticalia, you have to look out for it though as it is well hidden in one of the large colonnades. It is absolutely fantastic and full of gizzits, I have spent too much time in there just studiously gawking at all sorts of militaria.
    • Like Like x 2