HMS Triumph returns from marathon deployment

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Stand by for a small spike in car accidents in the Plymouth area over the next few days. Submariners lose a lot of speed perception after a few months at sea

3. I thought that was an urban myth.

4. Bouillabaisse

Like submariners only having girls? I don't know if its ever been scientifically tested but anecdotal evidence from submariners I know says that the loss of speed perception is real.

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bollocks. They always claim to drink loads of beer. what really happens is the combination of half a pint of shandy and some fresh air knocks them out. Then the skimmers get wasted on the smellies' mess tab. That's why they always think they've drunk the bar dry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. With the original 13 S&T boats gradually being replaced by only 7 Astutes, the few remaining T-boats (the S-boats having all been decommissioned) and their crews are really being driven into the ground. As the RSS feed states, Triumph has just returned after 10 and a half months away but she only came back from her previous patrol in April last year after spending 13 of the preceeding 17 months away. Also last year, Tireless (due to be decommissioned next year) completed a 10 month deployment in May and Turbulent (decommissioned earlier this month) completed a 9 month deployment in December.

8. Arn't they like the V boats with crew rotations though? Surely the boat may be away for so long but not the actual crew?

9. There's usually a 'fifth watch' left ashore, some of whom rotate through but most are on board for the duration.

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Choose your branch, take a chance.

Ha ha, bad luck sun dodgers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Got told it was depth perception after spending a bit of time with crew from Talent . Because they don't have to focus any further than say 10 ft for 3 months at a time they can get a bit blurry when coming back ashore and trying to drive out the main gate

12. QUOTE=Dunservin]There's usually a 'fifth watch' left ashore, some of whom rotate through but most are on board for the duration. [/QUOTE]

So glad I got PMU'd during my time at the sub-school and became a target!

13. 10 ft?

I'd be more inclined to believe that any accidents are caused by them nodding off at the wheel due to lack of sleep immediately before getting back in, and to their sleep patterns whilst away.

14. Bouillabaisse

They keep getting run over as well, apparently. Can't tell how fast on coming cars are going.

15. Source?
    When was the last one?
    Aren't they usually in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road?
    Doesn't alcohol play a major part?