HMS Triumph returns from marathon deployment

Ministry of Defence said:
HMS Triumph returned from a 10-month deployment to a warm welcome from families, friends and loved ones at her home base of Plymouth yesterday, 29 July.

More...

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Stand by for a small spike in car accidents in the Plymouth area over the next few days. Submariners lose a lot of speed perception after a few months at sea

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stand by for a small spike in car accidents in the Plymouth area over the next few days. Submariners drink shit loads of beer and often end up wrapping their cars after a few months at sea
Fixed.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Bollocks. They always claim to drink loads of beer. what really happens is the combination of half a pint of shandy and some fresh air knocks them out. Then the skimmers get wasted on the smellies' mess tab. That's why they always think they've drunk the bar dry.

With the original 13 S&T boats gradually being replaced by only 7 Astutes, the few remaining T-boats (the S-boats having all been decommissioned) and their crews are really being driven into the ground. As the RSS feed states, Triumph has just returned after 10 and a half months away but she only came back from her previous patrol in April last year after spending 13 of the preceeding 17 months away. Also last year, Tireless (due to be decommissioned next year) completed a 10 month deployment in May and Turbulent (decommissioned earlier this month) completed a 9 month deployment in December.

Arn't they like the V boats with crew rotations though? Surely the boat may be away for so long but not the actual crew?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With the original 13 S&T boats gradually being replaced by only 7 Astutes, the few remaining T-boats (the S-boats having all been decommissioned) and their crews are really being driven into the ground. As the RSS feed states, Triumph has just returned after 10 and a half months away but she only came back from her previous patrol in April last year after spending 13 of the preceeding 17 months away. Also last year, Tireless (due to be decommissioned next year) completed a 10 month deployment in May and Turbulent (decommissioned earlier this month) completed a 9 month deployment in December.
Choose your branch, take a chance.

Ha ha, bad luck sun dodgers.

Stand by for a small spike in car accidents in the Plymouth area over the next few days. Submariners lose a lot of speed perception after a few months at sea
Got told it was depth perception after spending a bit of time with crew from Talent . Because they don't have to focus any further than say 10 ft for 3 months at a time they can get a bit blurry when coming back ashore and trying to drive out the main gate

QUOTE=Dunservin]There's usually a 'fifth watch' left ashore, some of whom rotate through but most are on board for the duration. [/QUOTE]

Ravers said:
Ha ha, bad luck sun dodgers
So glad I got PMU'd during my time at the sub-school and became a target!

Got told it was depth perception after spending a bit of time with crew from Talent . Because they don't have to focus any further than say 10 ft for 3 months at a time they can get a bit blurry when coming back ashore and trying to drive out the main gate
10 ft?

I'd be more inclined to believe that any accidents are caused by them nodding off at the wheel due to lack of sleep immediately before getting back in, and to their sleep patterns whilst away.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Source?
When was the last one?
Aren't they usually in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road?
Doesn't alcohol play a major part?
Source - already referenced - anecdotal (hence the word "apparently") from talking to real sailors. So better than yours so far.
When was the last one - don't know. I'm not a traffic cop in Plymouth
No - submariners are notorious for not getting runs ashore. Legendary for it. If sailors were getting killed crossing the road it would more likely be skimmers.
wouldn't know - it's anecdotal and I'm not a traffic cop in Plymouth.

It's called dits and rumour. Which you might know about if you'd served.

Source - already referenced - anecdotal (hence the word "apparently") from talking to real sailors. So better than yours so far....
It's called dits and rumour. Which you might know about if you'd served.
Wrong on most counts. Apart from the dits and rumours bit, trouble is, they're not gen dits two clips two pins.

Bouillabaisse said:
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles Add as Contact View Gallery Uploads If sailors were getting killed crossing the road it would more likely be skimmers
I can vouch for that- nearly got run over 4 times in Gib, forgetting they drive on the wrong side of the road (why don't they drive on the propper side if they are British?)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
While we're on the subject of matelots in RTAs, I caused a banging Tuk Tuk crash in Madras while attempting to transfer, James Bond style, between two moving vehicles.

Many many thousands of rupees worth of damage was caused on that fateful day.

I'd like to say it was due to my vision being skewed or because Indians drive differently to us, but I'd be lying.

It was entirely down to the fact that I'd been drinking very heavily in a hotel bar for around 27 hours.

While we're on the subject of matelots in RTAs, I caused a banging Tuk Tuk crash in Madras while attempting to transfer, James Bond style, between two moving vehicles.

Many many thousands of rupees worth of damage was caused on that fateful day.

I'd like to say it was due to my vision being skewed or because Indians drive differently to us, but I'd be lying.

It was entirely down to the fact that I'd been drinking very heavily in a hotel bar for around 27 hours.
What were you doing there anyways?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Royal Navy 0
dui-lai Current Affairs, News and Analysis 5
J The Intelligence Cell 13