HMS Somerset returns to sea after £20 million refit

Ministry of Defence said:
The Type 23 frigate has a new lease of life as one of the most advanced fighting ships in the fleet due to a £20 million docking and upgrade in her home port of Devonport Naval Base in partnership with Babcock Marine.
HMS Somerset’s commanding officer, Commander Mike Smith, said:
I am incredibly proud to be taking HMS Somerset back to sea after what has been a highly productive upgrade. The ship now has increased capability to meet the needs of an adaptable Royal Navy and is ready to return to the active fleet.

HMS Somerset's commanding officer, Commander Mike Smith (right), speaks with a lieutenant commander [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Joel Rouse, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]The warship’s fighting capability is now among the most advanced in the world, while the living arrangements and main machinery have been improved and overhauled, and a new coat of paint on the hull increases its streamlined efficiency, economy and speed.
Enhancements to the ship’s Seawolf missile system, installation of an advanced electronic communications system, and significant improvements to operations room functions have made HMS Somerset more versatile and agile. In addition, substantial galley improvements will make life at sea more comfortable for the 185 sailors aboard.

More...

Ignorant as I am of naval matters, in the picture it looks like the big bloke is telling the little bloke it's his turn in the barrel. The little hamster looks terrified.
That much is clear. The little hamster is the boss, though he does look a little cold. He probably needs more porridge.

That Commander bloke. His name's Mike Smith, right?

So whose jacket has he borrowed? The name tape is neither Smith nor HMS Somerset.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
That Commander bloke. His name's Mike Smith, right?

So whose jacket has he borrowed? The name tape is neither Smith nor HMS Somerset.

*checks for hook and line, but takes the bait* Perhaps it might say "Royal Navy" - though how we've sunk so low that civilians and johnny foreigner doesn't immediately recognise them I don't know.

Bet when he sells it on ebay the tag says SAS.

I love your MOD explanations for how effective a weapon is:

It means that Seawolf can track – and destroy – a target the size of a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound well beyond the limit of the original missile.

If the system was placed in the middle of London, it could track its target over the M25 and knock it out of the sky over the North Circular - and the whole action would last under 20 seconds.
The cricket ball tracking abilities never fails to impress! :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
once round the IOW then off to the scrappers is it? that's how we usually do it

It should really include a mention of a London Bus and the size of Wales (or a whale) to score maximum points.

It means that Seawolf can track – and destroy – a target the size of a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound well beyond the limit of the original missile.

If the system was placed in the middle of London, it could track its target over the M25 and knock it out of the sky over the North Circular - and the whole action would last under 20 seconds.
...in view of their successes with cricket balls, the boffins are now trying to develop a system to track and destroy targets the size of an Exocet...

C

cloudbuster

...a new coat of paint on the hull increases its streamlined efficiency, economy and speed.
Bugger the missile systems; we seem to be World-beaters when it comes to slapping-on a coat of anti-fouling.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I do wonder if we use the cricket ball metaphor when trying to sell kit to some baffled Johnny Foreigner. OK for Indians of course.