HMS Somerset rescues lost pigeon

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by TheMadOracle, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lost Pigeon Rescued By Navy In Atlantic Ocean
    A racing pigeon found by HMS Somerset 300 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean is to be reunited with her owner.5:37pm UK, Friday 26 July 2013

A racing pigeon which got lost at sea is to be reunited with her owner after she was saved 300 miles (483km) out in the Atlantic Ocean by the crew of a Royal Navy frigate.

The exhausted bird was wrongly named Paul by crew members when she landed on the deck of HMS Somerset a week ago.

Since then she has been fed and watered and received much attention from the 185 men and women on board.

Leading Seaman William Hughes, an ex-pigeon fancier, caught the bird, checked it over and discovered that it was in fact female.

He said: "It was a stroke of luck that Paul found Somerset. "She will certainly have a few sea stories to tell her fellow pigeons."

more:

Lost Pigeon Rescued By Navy In Atlantic Ocean

Attached Files:

2. Money well spent on getting that dit out to a wider audience... not.

Jim 30 may now come to the rescue of the MOD Civil Service and defend the use of time and incumbent cost, to get the dit out...

3. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

They can hardly have missed it. Look at it - it's ******* huge.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Is it one of Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh_Matron's sprogs?

• Like Like x 1
  5. There, that's better - and more accurate.

• Like Like x 5

6. Quite alot of information there. Fortunately we have not been given the details of 'much attention'. If I was an ex-pigeon fancier I think I'd keep it to myself.
    About the only thing that I agree with Ken Livingstone on is that pigeons are flying rats.

7. Has it got its own Ipod yet?

8. The story would've been written onboard by someone as one of their secondary duties, forwarded to NCHQ and then released. I reckon it would've taken about 10 minutes of a CS' time.

9. RN to employ carriers on humanitarian ops. Just add bread crumbs to the deck...

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I spent months trying to catch that ******. It lived on the reel deck of Fort Vic for ages shitting everywhere and being a c*nt.

Attached Files:

11. Ravers

Just to clarify, the pigeon's name was Jeremy.

12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It's a fat bastard. Were your mates feeding it to wind you up?

13. Ravers

I'd been feeding him out of boredom. I spent a hell of a lot of time by myself manning the minigun down there. Having a pet staved off the boredom. I never caught him though, my original intention had been to train him to sit on my shoulder like a parrot.

That would've been cool as f*ck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You look cool in those Ray-Bans with a cigar.