HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

I once listened to an old BBC crackly sound recording of Sassoon and Robert Graves in conversation, both were classical scholars in Greek etc. The recording was 1922/3 era. Talk about posh, it is a wonder the Tommy's could understand them. You could actually hear the G in the word strength and the H in the word white.
I listened this evening to Boris Johnson addressing the Nation about his ten-year vision for the UK to become a global leader in wind power.

You could actually hear the sound of him talking complete b#llocks in a plummy voice.

E.T.A.
I think I may have uncovered the inner Churchill in Boris.​
It seems to be the one that had every Other Rank in Bill Slim's XIVth Army voting WSC out in 1945.​

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Our CO used to lend his Staff Car and his driver for soldiers local weddings for the Bride and Groom, to and from the church and to the reception. That was early 1960s in Minden German.

Last edited:
When one of our troop married the CO's driver, A WRAC, he let The bride and groom have the car, with a driver in full No1 dress for the duration. Top bloke. Early 1970's

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
When I finished my HO/TO to become Adjt Log Sp Bn AMF(L), I had to go on leave immediately to get married and go on honeymoon prior to rejoining the battalion in Norway. My CO was uncomfortable with having a married Adjt, and even more so when he discovered I’d borrowed his car and driver to get back to the airport!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It all ended happily though (the tour that is), one of the best COs I ever worked for and a tour I remember with affection.

And the marriage?
Not interested.

Unless. obvs. wedding night doggie-fashion fillums are on offer.

Which - given that (in those days) video cameras were about the size of a large loaf of bread - challenge of concealing one unnoticed in the bridal chamber woulda been beyond the skillset of the average wedding-goer.

Latest Threads