Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

there probably is a thread on here and if not why not about arrogant pompous army wives.
there were quite a few in my time in sixties germany who I think actually thought themselves Royalty and in reality were just interfering old harridans.
it was all pearls Hermes scarves Volvo estates and labradors then.
It was in the 80s, too.

there probably is a thread on here and if not why not about arrogant pompous army wives.
there were quite a few in my time in sixties germany who I think actually thought themselves Royalty and in reality were just interfering old harridans.
Which, naturally, reminded me of:

Post GRANBY, I may have erroneously thought you were with your Bn
I was. 2RRF, Bulford. AMF(L) role. When GRANBY kicked off I was on Dartmoor, training for Norway. I'd have to think hard about where I was at ENDEX. Chances are, in a trench on SPTA.

I never served in either the 1st or 3rd.

I was. 2RRF, Bulford. AMF(L) role. When GRANBY kicked off I was on Dartmoor, training for Norway. I'd have to think hard about where I was at ENDEX. Chances are, in a trench on SPTA.

I never served in either the 1st or 3rd.
You are unlikely to have met Mrs Ayatollah then.

Out of interest, was there a policy of postings between Bns or once 2nd always 2nd?

You are unlikely to have met Mrs Ayatollah then.

Out of interest, was there a policy of postings between Bns or once 2nd always 2nd?
Not quite inviolable, but usually the latter, except somtimes Bn 2ic and all too often CO, hence we copped for Gordon Izzamoron from the 1st for the latter part of Bulford, and waaay too much of Ballykinler.

Not quite inviolable, but usually the latter, except somtimes Bn 2ic and all too often CO, hence we copped for Gordon Izzamoron from the 1st for the latter part of Bulford, and waaay too much of Ballykinler.
Thanks for that, same with us though less so CO’s, also if you had been naughty you might be given a second chance in a different Regt.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well go on then!
OK The Story:
The Bn were the AirLanding Bn of 16 Para Bde, stationed in Normandy Bks Aldershot. During our two year stint the Bn had been away for 19 months. It was good working with the Paras and wherever we went Brigadier Dolly Grey Para Bde Comd came to visit us, I got to know and to like him. During the last month of my tour we received a new adt, he was a snob beyond, and well renown for it . However I was about to leave the Bn after two and a half years in the job' I was to become GSM Belize for six months and them Commissioned.
There followed a set of circumstances: We were only one week after Op Banner Leave. The CO became ill and was hospitalised, the Bn 2IC was changing over, the situation was no CO and a brand new 2IC about to arrive and a new Adjutant. I was near our Guardroom when the Staff Captain A Para Bde in passing, shouted across to have a word with me. He said 'are you satisfied with your confidential report? It was a good one and I replied that I was. He replied 'Well the Brigadier is certainly not satisfied, come to my office and read it'" I did and could easily see that the last paragraph had been subsequently added. Reports were typed in those days and the last Paragraph was very obviously written with a different typewriter, Preceding the new end part, the recommendations were embarrassingly glowing.
The new addition implied that it was part of the CO's report. It stated 'RSM .......... Has done a superb job, but unfortunately he has reached his ceiling and should not be considered for further promotion' I told the Staff Captain A that the last Paragraph was not on the report when I signed it. The Brigadier himself had spotted it.
For about two days in the Orderly Room, the proverbial shite hit the fan. I kept silent. The new 2IC arrived and asked me into his office, he apologised and said that ' a certain disciplinary route was now being followed. That of course was all done in secret, but the adjutant had indeed reached his own ceiling, he never proceeded further.

Last edited:
It was in the 80s, too.
It was indeed. Before Mrs WB and I left our Lisburn pad for Berlin, we advertised some stuff for sale (know not what) and a woman of the above description pitched up with two golden retrievers in the back of the estate. Business done, the Mrs was chatting about dogs, and said that she would be taking the train acoss to Berlin, with our wee collie. The trip was going to take her 3 days, overnight halts and many changes of train before I picked her up from the BMT. Woman said that her husband and herself were due a BAOR posting, but the two retrievers would be put down and new ones purchased in-country. The friendly chat came to a sudden and juddering halt, and woman didn't get the item she had yet to pay for.

Last edited:
OK The Story:
The Bn were in the Air Landing Bn of 16 Para Bde, stationed in Normandy Bks Aldershot. During our two year stint the Bn had been away for 19 months. It was good working with the Paras and wherever we went Brigadier Dolly Grey Para Bde Comd came to visit us, I got to know and to like him. During the last month of my tour we received a new adt, he was a snob beyond, and well renown for it . However I was about to leave the Bn after two and a half years in the job' I was to become GSM Belize for six months and them Commissioned.
There followed a set of circumstances: We were only one week after Op Banner Leave. The CO became ill and was hospitalised, the Bn 2IC was changing over, the situation was no CO and a brand new 2IC about to arrive and a new Adjutant. I was near our Guardroom when the Staff Captain A Para Bde in passing, shouted across to have a word with me. He said 'are you satisfied with your confidential report? It was a good one and I replied that I was. He replied 'Well the Brigadier is certainly not satisfied, come to my office and read it'" I did and could easily see that the last paragraph had been subsequently added. Reports were typed in those days and the last Paragraph was very obviously written with a different typewriter, Preceding the new end part, the recommendations were embarrassingly glowing.
The new addition implied that it was part of the CO's report. It stated 'RSM .......... Has done a superb job, but unfortunately he has reached his ceiling and should not be considered for further promotion' I told the Staff Captain A that the last Paragraph was not on the report when I signed it. The Brigadier himself had spotted it.
For about two days in the Orderly Room, the proverbial shite hit the fan. I kept silent. The new 2IC arrived and asked me into his office, he apologised and said that ' a certain disciplinary route was now being followed. That of course was all done in secret, but the adjutant had indeed reached his own ceiling, he never proceeded further.
One word:

Farkineejit.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

Cromarty

Old-Salt
I do t know which Navy you've served in, but I've never seen OF6 be allowed 1st class train travel. Hell, I've shared a rather grotty virgin cross country train from London to Plymouth with the First Sea Lord - and that was "standard" class.

I know this is an old post but...

As a brand new 17y/o Seaman fresh out of training, a mate and i got first class sleeper cabins all the way from Melbourne to Perth. A big thanks to the airline pilots strike of '89. It was a brilliant 3 days.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but...

As a brand new 17y/o Seaman fresh out of training, a mate and i got first class sleeper cabins all the way from Melbourne to Perth. A big thanks to the airline pilots strike of '89. It was brilliant 3 days.

Way back in the 1970s I was issued with a travel warrant for my leave in the North West.
In those days the warrants had a First Class/Second Class section which had to have a pen strikethrough on the First Class bit with me being a filthy f*ck all Gunner.
Sadly our BSM forgot to strike through the First Class bit so I did it for him.
Unfortunately my pen slipped and I did the strike through on the Second Class bit.
Sadly this only happened about 5 times and I was never pulled up about it.
Another way to travel First Class was to book a meal in the dining restaurant and stay there for the entire journey which was way cheaper than upgrading to First Class and the food was surprisingly good.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Way back in the 1970s I was issued with a travel warrant for my leave in the North West.
In those days the warrants had a First Class/Second Class section which had to have a pen strikethrough on the First Class bit with me being a filthy f*ck all Gunner.
Sadly our BSM forgot to strike through the First Class bit so I did it for him.
Unfortunately my pen slipped and I did the strike through on the Second Class bit.
Sadly this only happened about 5 times and I was never pulled up about it.
Another way to travel First Class was to book a meal in the dining restaurant and stay there for the entire journey which was way cheaper than upgrading to First Class and the food was surprisingly good.
Exactly the same thing used to occur to me in the mid 80’s travelling on my 4 warrants every year by train from Wiltshire to Sussex. Matey boy Cpl Clerk never scored out the class of travel bit on the warrant so I would. Happy days.

Apart from the fact that Southern Rail and London generally we’re not as nice as now!