Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Mrs 06 had a run in with the CO’s wife when we were in Hemer ( CO being the Ayatollah for those who know him). The Families Officer, who had been my Tp Sgt, was sent round to ask why Mrs 06 had not arranged the Wives Club Christmas Draw /Church flowers or some other task, she told him that she did not have time just at the moment. This did not go down well and the FO was sent back to demand compliance now.

Mrs 06 did not comply but did send back the message that Mrs CO may wish to discuss with the Ayatollah which was the priority the Wives Club/flowers or the rearrangement of her husband’s regiments ammunition stocks a task which the Corps Comd had directed her complete, Mrs 06 being SO2 (Rockets, Bombs and all things that go Bang) at HQ 1 (BR) Corps at the time. This resulted in the FO getting an earful from Mrs CO which he took on the chin but did cost me a couple of beers.

I may have recounted this story before and there may be variations in this version from the previous one, but I claim the passage of time on my memory, and also everyone else seems to elaborate their stories so why can’t I.
Jaw dropped. Your missus, a serving officer was tasked by a “wife of” and the families officer backed the wife of? No offence but it doesn’t cast your regiment in a very good light. I’d say it was the families officer who owed you the beers.

ps: Palimsest: not the truth of what actually happened but your memory of what happened and therefore true enough.

All very yesteryear. Was told recently that my spouse would be required to undertake mandatory training to accompany me on a particular overseas appointment. I enquired how does she claim back loss of earnings (self-employed) for attending the course...to be told, actually, the training was voluntary after all!

there probably is a thread on here and if not why not about arrogant pompous army wives.
there were quite a few in my time in sixties germany who I think actually thought themselves Royalty and in reality were just interfering old harridans.
it was all pearls Hermes scarves Volvo estates and labradors then.

Anyone remember a case in decade and half ago / early 2000s..In the news ..Commodore whose overall in charge of the SSBN fleet got done for hmmm images on his PC. The next man or so down with the Uk deterrent under him...

It was in the news , at time when cops were getting high tech on the dark web

Anyhow back to the subject think N-C-P took over from Jerry Kidd in dock in NYC after the first F-35B landings on QE.

cheers

I know we seem to have drifted into how some wives think they are the same rank as their husband but I do remember (Good God, I just worked out it was almost 30 years ago, where did the time go?)
I was on watchkeeper duties in Belize (posh name for Orderly Officer) and the COS missus came in complaining about "locals" in the swimming pool and I needed to do something about it. I didn't ignore it but said I'd look into it. As it was, the Brig was out on his boat and we had to monitor the comms in case anything happened.

Anyhoo, about an hour later the COS (a Guards Major ISTR) called me over to complain that "locals" were using the swimming pool and I should check it out (wonder where he got the info from?).

Off I toddles. The pool was a shared facility with BFB and RAFB. In the pool were the wife and two kids of a Signals SSGT and, yes, they were black as he's married a Belizean about 10 years before. Also sitting around was the wife and 2 kids of a C/Tech RAF who came from Barbados.

Back to COS to tell him they were families of serving servicemen. I'm sure I heard him mutter something about "still locals" I suppose, nowadays, he'd be done for "assumed racism" or some such.

Also used to like it when the wife of (yeah, I know) the SSgt would be picked up and have her car searched whenever a new battalion arrived and would start calling her a local or, sometimes, out of the car, Chimp.
She used to give them sh!t and, for once, playing on her husband's rank was a bit justified.

GreyArea

War Hero
there probably is a thread on here and if not why not about arrogant pompous army wives.
there were quite a few in my time in sixties germany who I think actually thought themselves Royalty and in reality were just interfering old harridans.

New thread started in the NAAFI bar.

(And may God have mercy on my soul...)

Last edited:
Yes, but what did the wives wear man!

All very yesteryear. Was told recently that my spouse would be required to undertake mandatory training to accompany me on a particular overseas appointment. I enquired how does she claim back loss of earnings (self-employed) for attending the course...to be told, actually, the training was voluntary after all!

Well colour me surprised! :rolleyes:

Mrs 06 had a run in with the CO’s wife when we were in Hemer ( CO being the Ayatollah for those who know him). The Families Officer, who had been my Tp Sgt, was sent round to ask why Mrs 06 had not arranged the Wives Club Christmas Draw /Church flowers or some other task, she told him that she did not have time just at the moment. This did not go down well and the FO was sent back to demand compliance now.

Mrs 06 did not comply but did send back the message that Mrs CO may wish to discuss with the Ayatollah which was the priority the Wives Club/flowers or the rearrangement of her husband’s regiments ammunition stocks a task which the Corps Comd had directed her complete, Mrs 06 being SO2 (Rockets, Bombs and all things that go Bang) at HQ 1 (BR) Corps at the time. This resulted in the FO getting an earful from Mrs CO which he took on the chin but did cost me a couple of beers.

I may have recounted this story before and there may be variations in this version from the previous one, but I claim the passage of time on my memory, and also everyone else seems to elaborate their stories so why can’t I.
Would that have been the Very Last CO, or his brother-in-law? I can well believe it if w/o the former, having been his 2i/c in HQ Sqn. A bit less so of w/o the latter, unless she changed drastically ‘on promotion’.

CO and when the battalion was posted to Ballykelly in the late seventies as the residental battalion she joined the UDR as a Greenfinch and went out on patrol with them.
Unlike the spouse of my last CO. It too was a resident tour. She joined the golf club and went with him on the golf course (while the troops were out in the cuds) . . . . . . :roll:

A right pair they were.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jaw dropped. Your missus, a serving officer was tasked by a “wife of” and the families officer backed the wife of? No offence but it doesn’t cast your regiment in a very good light. I’d say it was the families officer who owed you the beers.

ps: Palimsest: not the truth of what actually happened but your memory of what happened and therefore true enough.
If you knew the characters involved you would understand the situation a little more clearly.

Certainly no offence taken (even in theses days), this was a product of a system of patronage and entitlement and petty jealousies on its last legs. The “Family” regiment had it’s downside where fellow officers married the sister of fellow officer and daughters of, after careful vetting by the existing wives,resulting in either strong harmonious groupings that benefited all or in vindictive, poisoned covens who would do anything to show up their perceived rivals. I fell i
Would that have been the Very Last CO, or his brother-in-law? I can well believe it if w/o the former, having been his 2i/c in HQ Sqn. A bit less so of w/o the latter, unless she changed drastically ‘on promotion’.
The Very Last CO’s wife. Never served under the BiL fortunately as we had a bit of a falling out when he was A Sqn Ldr.

@Stonker, you would have met her if you were with your Bn in Hemer just prior to “amalgamation”.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
If you knew the characters involved you would understand the situation a little more clearly.

Certainly no offence taken (even in theses days), this was a product of a system of patronage and entitlement and petty jealousies on its last legs. The “Family” regiment had it’s downside where fellow officers married the sister of fellow officer and daughters of, after careful vetting by the existing wives,resulting in either strong harmonious groupings that benefited all or in vindictive, poisoned covens who would do anything to show up their perceived rivals. I fell i

The Very Last CO’s wife. Never served under the BiL fortunately as we had a bit of a falling out when he was A Sqn Ldr.

@Stonker, you would have met her if you were with your Bn in Hemer just prior to “amalgamation”.
Long ago but I can remember young subbie’s who were a bit ”skittish” around females who were not blood relatives. Different worlds, as you say.
I remember a claim that some young officers had paid for ladies to Come out to Germany to be their guests at the summer ball. Which says a bit about their opportunities to meet women outside the military caste and maybe also a bit about the lads voluntold as waiters and bar staff, who told me that. Naturally they had all spent the evening shagging the posh totty...., but of course!

just prior to “amalgamation”.
Which particular amalgamation?

2RRF quit Hemer in 1979, and we were still 3-bn mob at that point, with the next amalgamation (IIRC) not until 3RRF got sent on post-Op leave after GRANBY in 1991, being told - pretty much as they went out the gate - to report elsewhere upon return to duty.

Which particular amalgamation?

2RRF quit Hemer in 1979, and we were still 3-bn mob at that point, with the next amalgamation (IIRC) not until 3RRF got sent on post-Op leave after GRANBY in 1991, being told - pretty much as they went out the gate - to report elsewhere upon return to duty.
Post GRANBY, I may have erroneously thought you were with your Bn then. If you were not you would not have met Mrs Ayatolla then. We were next door in the adjacent barracks.

Interesting you say the 3RRF were told to report elsewhere on return from post-Op leave. I took my Sqn out to BATUS as part of the 3RRF BG wpith A deH L as CO only a couple of months before our own amalgamation. In 92.

OF -3 used to be allowed 1st class as late as the 1980s (and their families on warrants ie kids from school)
As a pad brat I was dispatched to school with travel warrants, was indulged to Singapore and Cyprus and picked up in dads staff car when he was a CO and latterly Brigade Commander. You can't drag him over the coals - he's dead!
I even had a party in Cyprus where I teamed up with the CO of the Signals detachment on the Island. Dad as an ex Sapper got the Sappers in to put the dancefloor and tentage up and my mates dad layed on all lighting, sound and DJ kit. Those where the day.

Latest Threads