Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

I was under the impression that all servicemen's wives were classed as excess baggage, hold no rank, have no authority, or have any input to the running of a regiment, airfield, or ships company...Or a I missing something here!
late edit too add:- My wifes ration card has as her name "W/O L/Cpl 2428**** L*********"
not even the courtesy of her given name

The defacto CO of 2CG 1976-1979 was the wife of the guy with a crown and a pip.
Among other things such as her snap inspection of barrack blocks to confiscate frankie vaughan was her allocation of MT for wives meetings. Officers wives and Warrant ranked wives were carried by minibus , separate ones of course. Sgts and Colour Sgts wives travelled by the unit unmarked bus, wives of Lance Sergeants and below got marked 4 Tonners.
The seating plan for meetings and the xmas party was strictly by (perceived) rank, My first missus attended the only the first one, and won the ladies darts tournament, but refused to curtsey when she got her prize, and I got told off accordingly by the CSM.

The pad witches were bad enough without getting free kindling from the COs missus.
One xmas boss came in and told us we were doing last minute panic blue light taxis with our 2 fire appliances to get the wife's club who had had a very good christmas dinner in the sgts mess home safely.anyway last run was 2 older very flirty bordering on gagging for it well dressed ladies who as soon as they were poured into the back cab started demarding to see a firemans helmet and one jumped on the 18 year old fresh from training LACs lap and blatantly rode him for the journey.you drop us here thanks. Yep the COs OMQ, they dropped them and fucked off asap

My CO’s wife when I was an Adjt was in that mould and thought I worked for her. I made it clear I didn’t so she moved on to the RSM with predictable results.

I trust that the 'predictable results' were that he fornicated her off as well?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Never came across it, in or out of uniform but a friend would tell of doing local purchases for DGSAP in Riyadh and a Gp Capt’s wife tried to give him a bollocking because he was mocking her complaint - that a Sqn Ldr’s wife had better window box’s in her quarter than the Gp Captain’s wife had .... and what was he going to do about it?
Pointing out that the Sqn Ldr’s wife had bought her window boxes had no effect, so off she was told to **** with some pithy questions about how many house servants she normally had when based in the UK.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was there when she decided that the Guardsmen must have no pictures of naked women on or in their lockers. There were rumblings. But being Guards, they did what they were jolly well told to do.
They were probably glad she'd left their pictures of naked men alone I expect.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It wasn’t just officers wives. The square in front of out TA centre (in a forgotten corner of a biggish army camp) had some caravans and campers parked along the back. One weekend we had parked The vehicles blocking in a couple of caravans. Up pops some woman Who asks me to move it, telling me peevishly at the same time that her husband is a regular sergeant and that we shouldn’t use that bit of the car park.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
One regiment I served in the COs wife had a small problem when she hit the grog,

******* Atilla the Hen once she had had a few dops.

Miserable excuse for a human being with the personality of a cut rattlesnake.

Friend of mine who was a Leading Steward in the RN tells a cracking dit about the wife of the Admiral he was once steward for.

Apparently one day she been out "shopping" with friends in central London and rocked up to the front of the Admiral's quarters in a taxi half cut, emptied half the contents of Harrods out of the back and then dismissively told him to take it in and stow it all away before tottering inside and disappearing up to her bedroom for a lie down. 4 hours later she comes down and demands to know where her shopping was to be told it was exactly where she left it as he was the Admiral's steward and not the house flunkey. Out she goes to the front steps and sure enough everything was exactly where she'd left it.

Cue screams, batshit mentality and threats of having his rate and off she goes to cause murder. An hour later my mate is called to the Admiral's study whereupon the Admiral tells him that the wife has given him mucho earache but that my mate was quite right, it wasn't his job to be a house flunkey and that it would not happen again.

For the rest of the year that he was drafted to that billet she didn't acknowledge him nor speak to him and indeed often made out as if he wasn't even in the room.

Cheers Shippers

The defacto CO of 2CG 1976-1979 was the wife of the guy with a crown and a pip.
Among other things such as her snap inspection of barrack blocks to confiscate frankie vaughan was her allocation of MT for wives meetings. Officers wives and Warrant ranked wives were carried by minibus , separate ones of course. Sgts and Colour Sgts wives travelled by the unit unmarked bus, wives of Lance Sergeants and below got marked 4 Tonners.
The seating plan for meetings and the xmas party was strictly by (perceived) rank, My first missus attended the only the first one, and won the ladies darts tournament, but refused to curtsey when she got her prize, and I got told off accordingly by the CSM.

The pad witches were bad enough without getting free kindling from the COs missus.
I remember reading the obit in 'The Times' or DT a couple of years ago of a women who was a former model who married a CG Rupert. Apparently he became CO and when the battalion was posted to Ballykelly in the late seventies as the residental battalion she joined the UDR as a Greenfinch and went out on patrol with them.

Friend of mine who was a Leading Steward in the RN tells a cracking dit about the wife of the Admiral he was once steward for.

Apparently one day she been out "shopping" with friends in central London and rocked up to the front of the Admiral's quarters in a taxi half cut, emptied half the contents of Harrods out of the back and then dismissively told him to take it in and stow it all away before tottering inside and disappearing up to her bedroom for a lie down. 4 hours later she comes down and demands to know where her shopping was to be told it was exactly where she left it as he was the Admiral's steward and not the house flunkey. Out she goes to the front steps and sure enough everything was exactly where she'd left it.

Cue screams, batshit mentality and threats of having his rate and off she goes to cause murder. An hour later my mate is called to the Admiral's study whereupon the Admiral tells him that the wife has given him mucho earache but that my mate was quite right, it wasn't his job to be a house flunkey and that it would not happen again.

For the rest of the year that he was drafted to that billet she didn't acknowledge him nor speak to him and indeed often made out as if he wasn't even in the room.

Cheers Shippers
Did he enjoy his tour on fishery patrol in the Orkneys afterwards?

Yarra

Old-Salt
I think a lot more COs wives are working for a living these days. It won't be long before the RSMs wives are the same I feel, but not yet.
Many moons ago (late 90s), the now Mrs Yarra was encouraged to attend a Sqn Cdr's wives drinks party, by an ambitious and snotty nosed young Yarra. She turns up at the appointed hour (after rushing back from work; NHS) with some M&S nibbles and was almost ran out of the room by the incredulous Mrs OC Sqn and her coven.

Not only had she failed to show home baked goods, she also had the temerity to excuse her tardy approach to said baked goods by citing a 12 hour shift in A&E!

Needless to say, she never made the mistake of hanging around the coven again.. and I never asked her to again. :rolleyes:

QRK2

LE
I remember reading the obit in 'The Times' or DT a couple of years ago of a women who was a former model who married a CG Rupert. Apparently he became CO and when the battalion was posted to Ballykelly in the late seventies as the residental battalion she joined the UDR as a Greenfinch and went out on patrol with them.

I think you may mean this Lady, Cav and Regiment rather than CG and Bn though.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Bn Adjutant mentioned to me that his wife at our UK base had mentioned to him that "The soldier's children were seen using the 'swings and Round a Bouts' in the small park near the officers quarters area. They were doing this in passing on their way home from school.
He looked at me for a full minute waiting for an answer, which I wasn't going to give, then he said 'What will you do about it' I was in my last month as RSM and could relax a bit, so I replied 'We need to be sure that the soldier's children learn no bad language" He shuddered showing facial anger; said nothing and went to his desk.
PS: It would make interesting reading how this snobbish type tried to fix me before I left the BN, he failed miserably and ruined his own career!

My missus used to hate wive's clubs with a vengeance. Our first posting overseas, she went to one to meet others and was told to give her husband's rank (Siggy at the time) and was then told to sit at the table with other Siggy's wives. First and last time she attended one.

Mind, a lot later on she was great mates with one of the wives, they'd always be round each other's house for coffee etc and sat with each other at all the dos. By this time, I'd reached the heady rank of Cpl, same as her husband. Then he got upped to the Sgts' Mess (not me) and cut my missus dead. Never came round after that and sat at tables at dos with other Sgt's wives. She was not a happy bunny at this time.

Years later, posted back to the same unit and I was now a WO2 whilst he remained a Sgt (something to do with buggering up the books when in charge of one of the clubs). I'd like to say my missus took great pleasure in cutting her dead but she isn't like that. She actually spoke to her at a do. Something along the lines of "Go and hang my coat up" or similar.
(No she didn't but I wouldn't have blamed her one bit if she had).

PS: It would make interesting reading how this snobbish type tried to fix me before I left the BN, he failed miserably and ruined his own career!
So, after 22 or more years in the Regiment/Battalion after shot and shell in Malaya, Borneo, Aden and NI the miserable little shit tried to stitch you up? Glad to hear Karma was working well and he got his just reward.

Mrs 06 had a run in with the CO’s wife when we were in Hemer ( CO being the Ayatollah for those who know him). The Families Officer, who had been my Tp Sgt, was sent round to ask why Mrs 06 had not arranged the Wives Club Christmas Draw /Church flowers or some other task, she told him that she did not have time just at the moment. This did not go down well and the FO was sent back to demand compliance now.

Mrs 06 did not comply but did send back the message that Mrs CO may wish to discuss with the Ayatollah which was the priority the Wives Club/flowers or the rearrangement of her husband’s regiments ammunition stocks a task which the Corps Comd had directed her complete, Mrs 06 being SO2 (Rockets, Bombs and all things that go Bang) at HQ 1 (BR) Corps at the time. This resulted in the FO getting an earful from Mrs CO which he took on the chin but did cost me a couple of beers.

I may have recounted this story before and there may be variations in this version from the previous one, but I claim the passage of time on my memory, and also everyone else seems to elaborate their stories so why can’t I.

Latest Threads