Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

OF3s were allowed first class rail travel until about 2009
I exercised that privilege about 3 times when quartered as an SO2 in Worst Fleabite, and frequently visiting Main Bldg, between 1998-2003.

Then I looked at the price differential, and figured that I really didn't need the taxpayer to shell out that much more for a paper antimacassar, and the threat of a paper cup of grotty tea that I was never going to ask for.

OF3s were allowed first class rail travel until about 2009 - when everything got cut under Op ENTIRETY. The then CinC LAND used to send his MA/ADC forward into first class on the Salisbury to London train to find people who were failing to follow the clear direction!
Op Entirety ruined a lot of things.

Cooke-Priest was a liar and a thief. Let's not forget that.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Reminds me of senior CFAVs in the ACF bypassing the system to have ski holidays and use Green and White fleet vehicles for private use. Or taking 6+ months pay whilst suspended, or just chinning off the military hiarachy because they can.

The defacto CO of 2CG 1976-1979 was the wife of the guy with a crown and a pip.
Among other things such as her snap inspection of barrack blocks to confiscate frankie vaughan was her allocation of MT for wives meetings. Officers wives and Warrant ranked wives were carried by minibus , separate ones of course. Sgts and Colour Sgts wives travelled by the unit unmarked bus, wives of Lance Sergeants and below got marked 4 Tonners.
The seating plan for meetings and the xmas party was strictly by (perceived) rank, My first missus attended the only the first one, and won the ladies darts tournament, but refused to curtsey when she got her prize, and I got told off accordingly by the CSM.

The pad witches were bad enough without getting free kindling from the COs missus.

Among other things such as her snap inspection of barrack blocks to confiscate frankie vaughan was her allocation of MT for wives meetings. Officers wives and Warrant ranked wives were carried by minibus , separate ones of course. Sgts and Colour Sgts wives travelled by the unit unmarked bus, wives of Lance Sergeants and below got marked 4 Tonners.
The seating plan for meetings and the xmas party was strictly by (perceived) rank, My first missus attended the only the first one, and won the ladies darts tournament, but refused to curtsey when she got her prize, and I got told off accordingly by the CSM.

The pad witches were bad enough without getting free kindling from the COs missus.
Ahh, the good old days . . . . .

They'd still be with us, were it not for Maggie's moratorium in the early 1980s, IMHO.

I'm 110% certain most of my COs up to 1991 would have loved the opportunity, at the taxpayer's expense, to unleash their wive's inner Lady Of The Manor on us underlings of the yeoman and serf classes . . . . . ^~

Last edited:
Ahh, the good old days . . . . .

They'd still be with us, were it not for Maggie's moratorium in the early 1980s, IMHO.

I'm 110% certain most of my COs up to 1991 would have loved the opportunity, at the taxpayer's expense, to unleash,their wive's inner Lady Of The Manor on us underlings of the yeoman and serf classes . . . . . ^~

Memory jog:- Old folks christmas party. Arranged by us, the lads and lasses of Radio troop, for 20 of the manors oldest and finest. In the troop office discussing how when and where, and in walks the CO's wife " Heard you were arranging a dinner for the old folk, thought I would come along and supervise" Me, Not really knowing who she was, ( I found out very sharply afterwards) And very pissed off at the intrusion, " We don't really need your help, thank you, we can manage with out it" She storms out. Total silence.. WHAT?

It seems that she had a habit of poking her nose into every extra curricular activity on camp, I was bollocked for showing disrespect to the CO's wife. No charges, but a few extras. 1974. BLC Hounslow.

Note:- The dinner went off perfectly, She did not attend.

Last edited:
My CO’s wife when I was an Adjt was in that mould and thought I worked for her. I made it clear I didn’t so she moved on to the RSM with predictable results.

My CO’s wife when I was an Adjt was in that mould and thought I worked for her. I made it clear I didn’t so she moved on to the RSM with predictable results.

I was under the impression that all servicemen's wives were classed as excess baggage, hold no rank, have no authority, or have any input to the running of a regiment, airfield, or ships company...Or a I missing something here!

I was under the impression that all servicemen's wives were classed as excess baggage, hold no rank, have no authority, or have any input to the running of a regiment, airfield, or ships company...Or a I missing something here!
What Army were you in?

I was there when she decided that the Guardsmen must have no pictures of naked women on or in their lockers. There were rumblings. But being Guards, they did what they were jolly well told to do.

Latest Threads