HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

Well the MN/RFA certainly do thanks to that generous tax allowance.
It’s not a given. There are hoops to jump through and individuals are responsible for their own retrospective claims. Some manage to qualify every year, others can be at sea from 16-60 and never qualify.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I have to cycle uphill to the dockyard - both directions, mind you - so try that...
You Regulars are lucky. Us Reservists get allocated accommodation in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a bowl of hot gravel, go to work for fourteen hours a day, and when we get home, the XO beats us to death and dances on our graves singing "Hallellujah!".

But you try and tell the young sailors today that... and they won't believe you.

You Regulars are lucky. Us Reservists get allocated accommodation in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a bowl of hot gravel, go to work for fourteen hours a day, and when we get home, the XO beats us to death and dances on our graves singing "Hallellujah!".

But you try and tell the young sailors today that... and they won't believe you.
You officers have it easy. As a Reserve rating you have to parade and get inspected by the Commissar, and anyone who does not proclaim thanks to the Great Comrade Chairman for his inspired efforts to increase tractor production gets attacked by two comrades, one armed with a sickle and the other a hammer, and sent to the Gulag.

See the letter from SO1 Morale - 'Beatings will continue until morale improves'.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Just heard from my half-brother, a dit from when his uncle was CO of 2RTR in Germany. He had large lumps of his family visiting on holiday and turned up at his MQ for lunch in a tank. How's that for misuse of Service transport? But things were different sixty years ago.

It’s not a given. There are hoops to jump through and individuals are responsible for their own retrospective claims. Some manage to qualify every year, others can be at sea from 16-60 and never qualify.
True, but our Fleet Management team would always oblige were possible with the necessary days, even it was was an ‘unavoidable holdover’.

But I would propose a simple Service system would be, shore draft, capped tax liability, sea draft, tax free.
Even back in the 70’s, old mans RN urine was duly heated to find my UK tax liability was capped @£2,000, and tax free after 6 months outside the UK.

Make the offer generous and they will come.
Why will people put in the sea time if there is no carrot at the end of it?

Latest Threads