HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I see the plot thickness and NCP was allowing his wife to use the car and it was his own ships company that reported it.

Like I said, couldn’t have happened to a nicer chap.........

I see the plot thickness and NCP was allowing his wife to use the car and it was his own ships company that reported it.

Like I said, couldn’t have happened to a nicer chap.........

?source

But the MOD dont have anything in place, he has chosen to ignore the regulations relating to using the vehicle. How does he maintain discipline on his vessel if he himself ignores regulations?
Quite easily I would have thought. There’s more to Leadership than do as I do. Not condoning his actions but I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t done similar.

The Torygraph are now reporting that Nick Carter is 'uneasy' about the Fishheads' handling of this matter!

Meanwhile, Cdre NCP will be replaced by Capt Steve Moorhouse on 28 May. The latter is the CO of HMS Prince of Wales, the other monumental floating white elephant. So, one imagines that the Senior Service are running around with their heads on fire looking for someone to command the PoW? No real hurry though, it isn't due for commissioning until 2020.
No problem, as we used to say in the Army in my day, "One in the 'ole, one up the roll". Figuratively
speaking of course.

I can quite believe it happening in North America, but not this side of the pond. The best I've got was a change of Eurostar departure to an earlier train to get home for the weekend without being charged for the privilege.
I got upgraded when I showed my MOD90 checking in for a Herc back from Freetown. The movers said I could swap on to the VC10 that afternoon.

Worked for Richard Farrington when he (as a Captain) ran the Maritime Warfare Centre - he was relatively unusual in inviting his civilian analysts in for his joining calls, and generally made a good impression.

Worked with Andy Ingham when he was driving a 45, and then again when he was running a significant procurement project - again, good guy, reasonably supplied with clues.

No clue what happened in terms of "who was responsible and who said what to who" on Nottingham, but one major mitigation for the CO was the way D Ships modelled the damage she suffered and asked "how exactly did you not all drown?" because the crew were very well up on their damage control and were right at the top end of "what a well-drilled crew could be expected to achieve", in a situation where "most 42s damaged this badly are sinking and sinking soon, unless the crew are really good".

And I'd forgotten that it was Gloria Wilcocks presiding at the CM!
I read up on how good the crew of the Nottingham were in stopping the ship taking that one last dive in the Telegraph's coverage. That speaks to how great the officers and senior rates of the ship were in their training of their crew. As an aside, regardless of one's political views, when the Telegraph isn't hiding its light under a "Premium Content" bushel, they're actually capable of some excellent journalism.

Bit of a wild accusation based on **** all. If anything the MOD should have something in place so he can use it. It’s hardly eco friendly to have to run an additional car when there’s one sat on your drive.
From an army perspective this is exactly what we do. We have rather expensive green fleet bought and paid for laying around doing nothing whilst we lease white fleet to run around in..........

Oh yes, I forgot about the DM / The Sun test. I have a good one about this. So if you served in Germany and needed white fleet you would have likely found yourself in an Opel Corsa/Astra/Vectra.
As an example, IIRC, the Vectra was something like £500pm to lease. (Those of you involved in car fleet leasing will be clutching their chest right now). Mercedes were prepared to offer equivalent cars at about half the price! HALF!

But we couldn't be seen to have squaddies driving around in Mercs so....... honestly it beggers belief.
Similar dit. On Exercise in Las Vegas with the C130 det (3 weeks, cheers easy) we were all put up in a God awful HOTAC even though Caesars Palace was way, way cheaper. Was explained that DM/Public would go spare and probably wouldn't get their heads around it had we all been put in there.

From an army perspective this is exactly what we do. We have rather expensive green fleet bought and paid for laying around doing nothing whilst we lease white fleet to run around in..........
I’m pretty confident that the white fleet is far cheaper to run than green fleet. Besides, would you want to pop into Luton hospital (say from Chicksands) in green fleet, unless it was tracked?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
if you do happen to use a crown car for an unofficial purpose, such as dropping off toddler at a nursery, don't, as happened to one member of our staff, accidently lock yourself out of said crown car, on a sunny day with toddler in strapped in.
The resulting smashed window from the Fire Brigade rescue is little hard to explain!

if you do happen to use a crown car for an unofficial purpose, such as dropping off toddler at a nursery, don't, as happened to one member of our staff, accidently lock yourself out of said crown car, on a sunny day with toddler in strapped in.
The resulting smashed window from the Fire Brigade rescue is little hard to explain!
Did they get airlifted from behind their desk?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if Navy Plod will investigate this as a potential criminal offence? Section 12(1) Theft Act 1968 - Taking a Vehicle without the owner's consent.

What about ordinary civilian criminal charges against both drivers of Driving While Uninsured? NCP might get nicked.

What about ordinary civilian criminal charges against both drivers of Driving While Uninsured? NCP might get nicked.
Depends what his wife put on the work ticket, his name or nothing? The rules around transport are not that complicated, and if he wasn't sure she was eligible to drive he could have always asked the master driver (or RN equivalent).