HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

With regard to business vs economy class- ISTR that a MOD90 would regularly see you upgraded- does that still happen?
I always dress relatively smartly, show my 1250/F90 and NATO Travel Order and ask politely; that's led to about a 20% success rate with blagging an upgrade, particularly if travelling alone from the UK. Although it's getting more and more difficult as airlines tend to give priority to loyalty club members, even if they can't upgrade you, the desk will sometimes put you in a seat with more leg-room, give you priority boarding or access to their lounge.

A company I did work for had GPS trackers installed in all of their vehicles. The tracker reported more than just position, it included speed, excessive braking, cornering too fast, stop time and so on, this info all went to the drivers project manager who was obligated to call the driver to find out why the driver was fffing up.
Same as some RAF stns where some contractors have even employed an individual solely for the purpose of studying driving habits for the characteristics you mention!

That said, occasionally they have to hire a vehicle if there's no pool cars available and you strike lucky if the company needs a prestige car relocated! Imagine my delight when I turned up on a Friday some months back to pick up my hire car for a journey to LHR the next day to find a Porsche Cayman waiting for me! Fitting my luggage in was a challenge. However, without any GPS tracker to worry about, it's fair to say that the journey down was more enjoyable - and certainly shorter - than normal! :)

What is the RN Blackadder equivalent of “before we proceed to the formality of sentencing the deceased, I mean the defendant, I think we’d all rather enjoy the case of the prosecution”!
March in the Flanders' Pigeon Murderer!

Regards,
MM

I always dress relatively smartly, show my 1250/F90 and NATO Travel Order and ask politely; that's led to about a 20% success rate with blagging an upgrade, particularly if travelling alone from the UK. Although it's getting more and more difficult as airlines tend to give priority to loyalty club members, even if they can't upgrade you, the desk will sometimes put you in a seat with more leg-room, give you priority boarding or access to their lounge.

Same as some RAF stns where some contractors have even employed an individual solely for the purpose of studying driving habits for the characteristics you mention!

That said, occasionally they have to hire a vehicle if there's no pool cars available and you strike lucky if the company needs a prestige car relocated! Imagine my delight when I turned up on a Friday some months back to pick up my hire car for a journey to LHR the next day to find a Porsche Cayman waiting for me! Fitting my luggage in was a challenge. However, without any GPS tracker to worry about, it's fair to say that the journey down was more enjoyable - and certainly shorter - than normal! :)

March in the Flanders' Pigeon Murderer!

Regards,
MM
"Now, where's my black cap, I'll be needing that later. Proceed with the case for the prosecution!" :)

Both of the daughters work in the Canadian Head Office of a certain car manufacturer. They have a key board with 20 sets of keys, if any are still available they can just grab a set and take the vehicle home, the only condition is that they are obligated to write a report on that vehicle, how was the ride, what did they like or not like, and other similar questions. These cars are NOT built by the parent company, they are all competitors vehicles, Mercs, BMW, Jaguar, Ford, Lexus, and so on, the idea being vehicle improvement on their own upcoming models. They both say that not many people take them because the reporting is lengthy, convoluted, and takes over an hour to complete.

You don't recall the CO of the 17/21 Lancers being sacked for swigging from his hip-flask on a Crab-Air flight to Canada then?
I remember him well - 1984? I believe the VC10 incident was only part of it. He’d also driven his regiment of Chieftains across a German asparagus field just before harvest and I believe there was a letter to the Times about LO cuts.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
NCP. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person

I think the adage watch out who’s fingers you tread on up the ladder could they could tread on yours as the climb higher is in play here.

I think the adage watch out who’s fingers you tread on up the ladder could they could tread on yours as the climb higher is in play here.
Spin your dit then...

What is the RN Blackadder equivalent of “before we proceed to the formality of sentencing the deceased, I mean the defendant, I think we’d all rather enjoy the case of the prosecution”!
“Master (at Arms), wheel the guilty b@stard in.”

I wonder if we'll ever get to know what is really at play here? Cap'n NCP has now been flown off the QE and won't be driving it south for a HO/TO with his hastily produced successor as originally planned.

One lesson to draw from all this is that it doesn't do to be beastly to one's JPA clerk!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The Green-Eyed God at play here methinks!

He has been flown off the ship whil it was in the Firth of Forth and before it docked. Certainly ramping up the embarrassment for him.
HMS Queen Elizabeth captain flown off ship in 'company car' row

He is still the Boss though until his replacement flies in so if the acting driver puts a bump in the sharp bit at the front or scrapes the paintwork, will Captain Nick still be responsible? Maybe something else to add to his crime sheet if they can arrange it!

The BBC article's reference to 'thousands of miles' of unaccounted mileage and 'repeated warnings' do appear to suggest that he may have been his own worst enemy here.

Regards,
MM