HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

I never got an upgrade due to production of a MOD90. I heard of this particular urban myth but never had it proved.
Well, if you can take the word of a bloke on an internet forum, you can consider this proof!
It happened to me and three mates (one of whom was actually a ‘Smudge’ Smith) on the trip from Calgary to Vancouver Summer 1990- Air Canada IIRC.

Well, if you can take the word of a bloke on an internet forum, you can consider this proof!
It happened to me and three mates (one of whom was actually a ‘Smudge’ Smith) on the trip from Calgary to Vancouver Summer 1990- Air Canada IIRC.
I can quite believe it happening in North America, but not this side of the pond. The best I've got was a change of Eurostar departure to an earlier train to get home for the weekend without being charged for the privilege.

Gits. I made that particular trip a few times 1996-1998 visiting proto-swmbo and never got it offered. They owe me.

You've got be as good as Sgt Steve coombes to get an upgrade these days, not just have an ID card
Just ask JohnG he knows.

Apocryphal upgrade dit concerns a pregnant ( not fat ) woman standing on a bus because none of the men, women, boys, girls and non binary trans would give her a seat.

The Scottish driver gets out his cab and says out loud, “ oi hen, hae a seat oan ma seat, ‘coz this bus isnae moving ‘til wan o these muppets geez up a seat fur ye”.

Last edited:
That is a bit cruel. Even at my old company, after the merger, they really started to penny pinch, all flights over 13 hours (before it was 6 or 7hrs) were allowed in biz class.

That’s just a lack of empowerment by the company. MOD is amazing at this and produces the finest rules followers to be found anywhere in the world since we took Hitler out.
For the MoD it is of course also taxpayers money as opposed to a companies VFM and the profit margin
Penny pinching plays a role, but do does FOI journalism
Business class / first class are no longer permitted by default, and a cheaper ticket or cheaper net costs are no longer an acceptable argument

The Daily Mail etc will submit their routine FOI questions and put the results up under headlines relating to Paper pushing Civil Service mandarins in the lap of luxury with first class / business class travel at the poor taxpayers expense

For the MoD it is of course also taxpayers money as opposed to a companies VFM and the profit margin
Business class / first class are no longer permitted by default, and a cheaper ticket or cheaper net costs are no longer an acceptable argument

The Daily Mail etc will submit their routine FOI questions and put the results up under headlines relating to Paper pushing Civil Service mandarins in the lap of luxury with first class / business class travel at the poor taxpayers expense
I used to fly to Tokyo a lot in 2016/17 and the funny thing - don't ask me why - a good few times, the premium economy and biz were cheaper than the economy class. I got tagged by the accountants but when I showed the screen shots, they were like "alright."

WRT cheaper net costs, i was travelling last year with a colleague to the Far East. He had a shit load of tools and it would have been cheaper for him to fly business class than pay for excess baggage. Obviously the finance cell wouldn’t budge and he went cattle class (I showed my laminated buff chit and got premium economy). To be fair the flight was empty, he got a row to himself, and got spoilt be some very attractive and bored air hostesses.

WRT cheaper net costs, i was travelling last year with a colleague to the Far East. He had a shit load of tools and it would have been cheaper for him to fly business class than pay for excess baggage. Obviously the finance cell wouldn’t budge and he went cattle class (I showed my laminated buff chit and got premium economy). To be fair the flight was empty, he got a row to himself, and got spoilt be some very attractive and bored air hostesses.
As I always say, I book even for biz when someone else is paying for it like I would do for personal travel - el cheapo - but there are some situations where booking the higher class works out better,

The subject was raised by Julian Lewis with Penny Mordaunt in the House of commons this afternoon. He understood that the matter may have been the result of a misunderstanding and asks if she will investigate. He expressed his concerns over the potential loss of such experience and investment. The Defence Secretary advised that she was aware of the matter but that it was a matter for the Navy and that they were dealing with it.

Last edited:
He's been re-assigned within the RN, not dismissed the Service.

I don't know, but I suspect that he may have fallen foul of someone, somewhere in the upper echelons of the RN, and this administrative process is being used to give him a kick in the spuds, figuratively speaking. Relieved of command for misuse of a Service vehicle = disproportionate to me........
What is the RN Blackadder equivalent of “before we proceed to the formality of sentencing the deceased, I mean the defendant, I think we’d all rather enjoy the case of the prosecution”!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I never got an upgrade due to production of a MOD90. I heard of this particular urban myth but never had it proved.

On another note, due to father pegging out and a rush back to the UK, me and the wife got an entire Tristar to ourselves back to Canada. Stretched over 4 rows, great air crew, loads of scoff. Comfiest long-haul trip ever and we've been doing that particular trip for 21 years now.
I'm not sure that it qualifies as an upgrade, largely because the only separation was a curtain, but I used to fly to Aberdeen with BA on a semi-regular basis and used my MOD90 as ID, largely because it fitted into a wallet. For about three years I was always one seat forward from the rear lavvy, however, for the six months or so after 9-11, before departing for foreign climes on another contract, I don't remember ever being sat further back than about Row 3 or getting anything other than an aisle seat.

This is deeply stupid, then. Let's literally spend money to pretend we're saving. Jesus wept.