HMS Queen Elizabeth's captain sacked - for using his official car at weekends

Been reported on multiple websites (so I shan't link the the Mail) and it seems to be rather an overreaction to what, appears to be, a relatively minor offence.

A Royal Navy spokesman said: "We can confirm Captain Nick Cooke-Priest has been reassigned to a new role. We can only say that management action is ongoing and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment further."

One wonders if there is more to it or if it just gold-braided pen pushers overstepping the mark.

Navy captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth 'sacked for misusing official car'

Oops.

That's bad news.

Luckily we can't compare him to the dozens of MP's who still employ completely inexperienced family members as Office or Diary Managers on £45k+, or claim ridiculous expenses for travel and overnight stays that a normal person wouldn't be able to be reimbursed for. Also it's clearly worse than say, 377 or so MP's having their Credit Cards suspended due to breaking rules on spending. Oh hang on . . .

There has to be more to this than meets the eye. An OF-5 in command does not get relieved purely for using a car for unofficial purposes. Christ, I have worked for an OF-5 with three drink-driving convictions before now.

I don't know what the background or context is, but I'd bet a crisp £20 that there is something underlying.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye. An OF-5 in command does not get relieved purely for using a car for unofficial purposes. Christ, I have worked for an OF-5 with three drink-driving convictions before now.

I don't know what the background or context is, but I'd bet a crisp £20 that there is something underlying.
I suspect he’s done all of the hard work and this is being used as an excuse to get rid of him.

I suspect he’s done all of the hard work and this is being used as an excuse to get rid of him.
He's been re-assigned within the RN, not dismissed the Service.

I don't know, but I suspect that he may have fallen foul of someone, somewhere in the upper echelons of the RN, and this administrative process is being used to give him a kick in the spuds, figuratively speaking. Relieved of command for misuse of a Service vehicle = disproportionate to me........

He apparently drove himself, and it confirms he put fuel in the tank.

Commendable, in comparison to the alternative, which would be a chauffeur to the nearest rail station, and then exorbitant First Class rail ticket.

Obviously they can not/do not want to mention the REAL problem, and have raked through everything to find a "technicality".

:( .

He apparently drove himself, and it confirms he put fuel in the tank.

Commendable, in comparison to the alternative, which would be a chauffeur to the nearest rail station, and then exorbitant First Class rail ticket.

Obviously they can not/do not want to mention the REAL problem, and have raked through everything to find a "technicality".

:( .
I do t know which Navy you've served in, but I've never seen OF6 be allowed 1st class train travel. Hell, I've shared a rather grotty virgin cross country train from London to Plymouth with the First Sea Lord - and that was "standard" class.

OK Conspiracy theorist at work. What has he seen on QE that he thinks is a crock of brown steaming stuff and then told the adults about it? Can’t have nay sayers driving our ships.

OK Conspiracy theorist at work. What has he seen on QE that he thinks is a crock of brown steaming stuff and then told the adults about it? Can’t have nay sayers driving our ships.
Shall I replenish your tinfoil Sir?

Latest Threads