HMS Queen Elizabeth sails to US for fighter jet trials

Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has sailed from Portsmouth today, bound for the east coast of the USA for operational trials.

Continue reading...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Err and Canada. Looking forward to seeing her in Halifax.

Left just after lunch.

Hope all goes well with safety for all.

Err and Canada. Looking forward to seeing her in Halifax.
Really Guns, when is that supposed to be happening?

Yokel

LE
Is she (and the task group) taking part in the Canadian ASW exercise Cutlass Fury? This year's one is the largest since the nineties with over twenty ships, helicopters, MPA....

If she is, then she is providing REAL operational capability in support of national and NATO interests.

I wonder if any British marked Dave's will make it on board this time?
There will be both UK and USMC jets embarked at various points I believe.

Regards,
MM

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Really Guns, when is that supposed to be happening?
State secret. But soon, like Sept. keep an eye out for social media and there may be a ship open to visitors. It is after Cutlas Fury.

Yokel

LE
State secret. But soon, like Sept. keep an eye out for social media and there may be a ship open to visitors. It is after Cutlas Fury.
Nine helicopters embarked - as well as the jets.

Three Jungly Merlin HC4s have landed on, so that means six ASW/ASuW Merlin HM2, plus another aboard Northumberland. I have no doubt CO Northumberland's comments about detecting submarines approaching the group will be misunderstood - towed array sonar and all that.

This is the point where she (Queen Elizabeth) starts providing real operational capability.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Nine helicopters embarked - as well as the jets.

Three Jungly Merlin HC4s have landed on, so that means six ASW/ASuW Merlin HM2, plus another aboard Northumberland. I have no doubt CO Northumberland's comments about detecting submarines approaching the group will be misunderstood - towed array sonar and all that.

This is the point where she (Queen Elizabeth) starts providing real operational capability.
They might be or might not be a SSN with the CVF,

Yokel

LE
They might be or might not be a SSN with the CVF,

Yes well they are often part of task groups...

So that will be a carrier with multi role jets (mixed RN/RAF manning), and both ASW/ASuW and assault helicopters, a company of Marines, a Flag staff, and a Role 2 medical team, an ASW frigate with TA sonar and dipping Merlin, a French frigate, a Type 45 for AAW and Fighter Control, an RAF Oiler (with limited dry stories - might or might not carry a helicopter), and SSN.... Sounds like a task group.

At the same time we have warships (2 x T23, 2 x T45, 4 x MCMV, 1 x LSD(A), 1 x tanker) committed to Kipion as well as others on national/NATO tasking.

Earlier in the year the RN led BALTOPS.

Latest Threads