HMS Queen Elizabeth. 3 years, no jets then scrapped.

...Unfortunately yes, but better than none. :)
All part of normal OT&E for both ship and aircraft.

Doubtless the usual click-bait experts and naysayers will claim it’s all a waste of money and won’t be able to defend itself if it can carry is one or 2 aircraft!

Regards,
MM

Doubtless the usual click-bait experts and naysayers will claim it’s all a waste of money and won’t be able to defend itself if it can carry is one or 2 aircraft!
Bolstered by the USMC for a while. Unfortunately Fallon won’t be around as he was rather keen on that bit.

Bolstered by the USMC for a while. Unfortunately Fallon won’t be around as he was rather keen on that bit.
I think the USMC will be regular visitors to the QEs for a number of reasons.

Regards,
MM

Certainly with the USMC looking to accelerate the numbers of F-deliveries, working with allied F-35 centric units, and yet another sea going platform to be based on.
Crisis Response Force Commander: Deploy a MEU to the Mediterranean | DoD Buzz

Particularly as our seedcorn F-35 naval ops have been very much along US lines.

What would be interesting will be the probability of the V-22 being part of any USMC unit that comes aboard the QE. We may well not have the funds or present intention to buy these but it would give the opportunity to work with them, and to observe their present and future capabilities, for example, AAR.

Win win.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
V-22 for AAR?

Suspect an F-35 with a buddy pod could deliver similarish amounts of fuel. More than half probably... Stick 4 tanks on and maybe even parity.

I know the USMC was interested in them but their flat tops only carry 6 jets and they already have the V-22. Not convinced it would make any form of sense as a new purchase, and their safety record is ... a bit woo.

Was explored during our dalliance with the C..

...Suspect an F-35 with a buddy pod could deliver similarish amounts of fuel. More than half probably... Stick 4 tanks on and maybe even parity...
Buddy stores are not currently planned for any F-35 variants.

...I know the USMC was interested in them but their flat tops only carry 6 jets and they already have the V-22. Not convinced it would make any form of sense as a new purchase, and their safety record is ... a bit woo...
Although the V-22 safety record is now not too dissimilar to conventional rotorcraft, I’d agree that there are better things to be spending our money on given we’re buying STOVL.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
All part of normal OT&E for both ship and aircraft.

Regards,
MM
Great poster. I do hope you have been behind the capability, gapped, for several years. Don't respond.

There has to be some substance that if you want Brexit then you need to up the coinage to pay for the Defence of the UK. With Europe wanting a European Defence Force, UK forces are going to have to rely on the US or ... not an option... or pay for it themselves.

EU takes step towards closer defence cooperation
You are not one of us...

And as we know from Alliances, they come and go...
Does the UK need to mandate an increase in defence spending?

I shall take my coat, but, should the UK defence budget not be higher?

Great poster. I do hope you have been behind the capability, gapped, for several years. Don't respond.

There has to be some substance that if you want Brexit then you need to up the coinage to pay for the Defence of the UK. With Europe wanting a European Defence Force, UK forces are going to have to rely on the US or ... not an option... or pay for it themselves.

EU takes step towards closer defence cooperation
You are not one of us...

And as we know from Alliances, they come and go...
Does the UK need to mandate an increase in defence spending?

I shall take my coat, but, should the UK defence budget not be higher?
Err...pardon?!

I’d love to see the UK Defence budget higher, just as I would the majority of European nations. But, barring a strategic shock, it won’t happen.

Regards,
MM

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Buddy stores are not currently planned for any F-35 variants.
I didn't say they were, merely that the idea had been mooted with the C.

Clearly it would be cheaper than buying V-22s is the point I was rather obviously making.

Yokel

LE
I have been keeping my powder dry, and not posted on the above thread for over a month, largely because there has been no significant news and simply adding to thread length makes it less likely that important points will be picked up by readers.

However, since this thread was last posted on:

1. The RN has been given the commitment to manning thread patrol vessels that did not expect to, and 'Littoral Strike' ships/groups. Does this increase the need for extra manpower?

2. The UK has committed a carrier to the NATO Response Force - not sure of the proper name. As ASW and protecting trans Atlantic and North Sea/Norwegian Sea/Mediterranean supply routes is a huge part of this, does this increase the need for addition ASW helicopters.

Is there any chance that the new Prime Minister will adress these points instead of making vague comments about building more ships?

V-22 for AAR?

Suspect an F-35 with a buddy pod could deliver similarish amounts of fuel. More than half probably... Stick 4 tanks on and maybe even parity.

I know the USMC was interested in them but their flat tops only carry 6 jets and they already have the V-22. Not convinced it would make any form of sense as a new purchase, and their safety record is ... a bit woo.

Was explored during our dalliance with the C..
QE is cleared to operate MV-22’s, the USMC will not go play without them.
All well and good having helo CSAR, but when you are sitting in some Sandy place dodging the choppy heads pilot barbecuing savages, having the helicopter turn up an hour late isnt an option.

After the USMC accepted it a helicopter that acts like a plane, not vice versa, the accidents stopped. They had the same problem at first with the Harrier. It’s accident record is now on the low side of the curve, and far lower than the Phrog it replaced.

Osprey will come, both SF and RN have a pressing need, SF never got their SF edition Wokkas.

QE is cleared to operate MV-22’s, the USMC will not go play without them.
All well and good having helo CSAR, but when you are sitting in some Sandy place dodging the choppy heads pilot barbecuing savages, having the helicopter turn up an hour late isnt an option.

After the USMC accepted it a helicopter that acts like a plane, not vice versa, the accidents stopped. They had the same problem at first with the Harrier. It’s accident record is now on the low side of the curve, and far lower than the Phrog it replaced.

Osprey will come, both SF and RN have a pressing need, SF never got their SF edition Wokkas.
The SF will get the MH47F-G as the RAF have are in the process of ordering 16 to replace the ageing airframes.

No MV22 but is on a dream you have conjured up.

Who is going to pay for it? Maintain it?

My word you are so full of excrement it’s almost unbelievable.

ches

LE
The SF will get the MH47F-G as the RAF have are in the process of ordering 16 to replace the ageing airframes.

No MV22 but is on a dream you have conjured up.

Who is going to pay for it? Maintain it?

My word you are so full of excrement it’s almost unbelievable.
An old thread still going but spot on. How the hell the RN justify a totally new airframe & concurrent commitment to the inevitable overly expensive keeping them flying requirements when as nice as it is, the MV22 isn't something the crabs are seriously considering. When times is hard the bean counters are looking for multi function/cross service capability.

Yokel

LE
We do need more ASW helicopters - for the carrier in the Carrier Strike role, for the Type 23s with 2087 sonar, for RFAs, and maybe even a few land based ones. The USMC may embark their own MV-22s aboard the QEC, but I doubt relying on other navies to provide ASW cabs is a good plan.

Given the thread title, it is worth that the Government have repeatedly committed to both carriers being in service.

Last edited:
We do need more ASW helicopters - for the carrier in the Carrier Strike role, for the Type 23s with 2087 sonar, for RFAs, and maybe even a few land based ones. The USMC may embark their own MV-22s aboard the QEC, but I doubt relying on other navies to provide ASW cabs is a good plan.

Given the thread title, it is worth that the Government have repeatedly committed to both carriers being in service.

Well yes, yes we do, but in our indecent haste to get 8 of the ex RAF Junglie Merlins marinized, they chopped the folding tails off 8 Mk1's over at Fleetlands to provide the folding tails effectively scrapping 8 airframes in the available for upgrade pool.

So, being as how we aint gonna buy any new Merlins, what we's got is what we's got, so we better make better use of them and add in something to do some of the jobs they've been pinged for like CSAR and stuff.

Last edited:
An old thread still going but spot on. How the hell the RN justify a totally new airframe & concurrent commitment to the inevitable overly expensive keeping them flying requirements when as nice as it is, the MV22 isn't something the crabs are seriously considering. When times is hard the bean counters are looking for multi function/cross service capability.

The Requirement for a dedicated RAF SF platform didn't go away with the Chinook Mk3 fiasco.
I know it says 'RAF MIldenhall' on the gate, but we can't keep borrowing the Cousins CV-22's for ever.

Latest Threads