HMS Queen Elizabeth. 3 years, no jets then scrapped.

DarkBlueLoggie

War Hero
For the love of God - someone please remember to fit an iPod charging point.

Can you fit EMALS to a sea Bass? or would we have to fit them to two large elephants, white? I hear elephants swim quite well?

Can you fit EMALS to a sea Bass?
No, but possibly to a CATfish! :)

or would we have to fit them to two large elephants, white? I hear elephants swim quite well?
We can't afford elephants, but we do have some Black Rhino we could supply as GFE, to be modified to meet the performance spec of an elephant. Can't see any long-term supply issues, can you?

Now you're just being silly. If each Sea Bass shark has his own Cdr or Capt in command, where are all these Cdr and Capts going to learn their command skills - opening tins of tuna in the mess?

The Navy needs to have a balance of aircraft ... oops, I mean a balance of aircraft and troop carrying vessels of varying sizes to provide proper professional development. Thus, it is clear that the Navy needs to invest in some lower end weaponry such as the pea shooter armed trout and the paint-gun armed perch.

Now you're just being silly with your high end fleet!

Clearly what we need are shoals of sticklebacks to carry out swarming attacks on the bigger Trout and Perch! I can feed 100 Sticklebacks for the cost of 1 of your Trout.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Now you're just being silly. If each Sea Bass shark has his own Cdr or Capt in command, where are all these Cdr and Capts going to learn their command skills - opening tins of tuna in the mess?

The Navy needs to have a balance of aircraft ... oops, I mean a balance of aircraft and troop carrying vessels of varying sizes to provide proper professional development. Thus, it is clear that the Navy needs to invest in some lower end weaponry such as the pea shooter armed trout and the paint-gun armed perch.
Perch?? You're condemning us to brown water riverine ops for eternity if we go down that root - No: salmon, dolphins or bull sharks for open water and riverine ops.

Perch indeed tcha!!

dragon825

War Hero
Perch?? You're condemning us to brown water riverine ops for eternity if we go down that root - No: salmon, dolphins or bull sharks for open water and riverine ops.

Perch indeed tcha!!

will the land based aviators land on said perch?

For those who may have lost the plot:

wikipedia said:
Perch (unit)

Length

The perch as a lineal measure in Rome, was 10 feet (3.0 m), and in France varied from 10 feet (perche romanie) to 22 feet (perche d'arpent - apparently 1/10th of "the range of an arrow". - about 220 feet). To confuse matters further, by ancient Roman definition, an arpent equalled 120 Roman feet.

In England, the perch was officially discouraged in favour of the rod as early as the 15th century[3], however local customs maintained its use. In the 13th Century Perches were variously recorded in lengths of 18, 20, 22 and 24 feet (7.3 m); and even as late as 1820, a House of Commons report notes lengths of 16.5, 18, 21, 24, and even 25 feet (7.6 m). In Ireland, a perch was standardized at 21 feet (6.4 m), making an Irish chain, furlong and mile proportionately longer by 27.27% than the "standard" English measure.

The rod as a survey measure was standardized by Edmund Gunter in England in 1607 as one-fourth of a chain (of 66 feet), or 16½ feet (5½ yards) long.

Area

As a unit of area, a square perch (the perch being standardized to equal 16.5 feet) is equal to a square rod, 30¼ square yards, 25.29 square metres or 0.00625 acres (25.3 m2). There are 40 square perches to a rood, 160 square perches to an acre. This unit was usually referred to as a perch or pole even though square perch and square pole were the more precise terms. Confusingly, rod was used as a unit of area but it meant a rood.

Obviously, regional interpretations of perch would yield different results.

Volume

A traditional unit of volume for stone and other masonry. A perch of masonry is the volume of a stone wall one perch (16.5 feet) long, 18 inches high, and 12 inches thick. This is equivalent to exactly 24.75 cubic feet, 0.916 667 cubic yards, or about 0.700 842 cubic metres.

The Perch remains a standard unit of land area used in Sri Lanka being equivalent to 25 sq. metres.
I hope this helps, especially the last bit about Sri Lanka. Can a land-based aviator land on 25 sq metres?

Incidentally, the Sea Eagle might be land-based but it has been known to deploy at sea for up to 80 days at a time. Not nearly as long as an FAA squadron but impressive nonetheless.

No. According to naval experts, land based aviators will not be able to remain current on strike-perch ops due to the introduction of the new catfish carrier. That's why the RAF has to be disbanded as an independent service and be subsumed within the FAA.

On the other hand, this land aviator has STOVL capability thus allowing for easier conversion to mini strike-perch ops.

Dunservin said:

I hope this helps, especially the last bit about Sri Lanka. Can a land-based aviator land on 25 sq metres?
Are you suggesting we attack Sri Lanka because the retain an in-service perch capability?

I'm more worried by the French Connection commonly abbreviated as FCUK or Fook the UK. How will we ever be able to maintain a joint strike-perch capability with the frogs when they can't even make their own mind up about big the perch is!!!!

Dunservin said:
Incidentally, the Sea Eagle might be land-based but it has been known to deploy at sea for up to 80 days at a time. Not nearly as long as an FAA squadron but impressive nonetheless.
So, if it can only deploy for up to 80 days, it's clearly of no use to the RN/FAA.

So will these Sea Eagles be UK specific and so be expensive and an endangered programme, or will we buy in the cheaper and already in widespread service American manufactured Sea Eagles?

We do need is a land based, networked, synchronised, ground defence force for our avian forces.

I think a replacement for MRA4 is probably top of the list chaps, lets focus here...

can stay in the air for WEEKS, plus, its fully amphibious!

So will these Sea Eagles be UK specific and so be expensive and an endangered programme, or will we buy in the cheaper and already in widespread service American manufactured Sea Eagles?
Don't bother me now. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that an arpent (10 perches romanie?) equalled 120 Roman feet. I can't get this image of 60 foreshortened Italians and a pile of discarded sandals out of my mind. Still, at least they have a couple of aircraft carriers (Cavour & Guiseppe Garibaldi) plus Harriers to fly from them.

Ahem, I rather think we have more important matters to attend than Harriers. Ie Albatrosses. Albatri...Albatross.... I say, whats the plural of Albatross? I favour 'Albatri' myself.

Could I just ask everyone to let them go now, please? (the harriers, not the Albatri. Well, let them go too if you happen to be holding one, their endangered dontcha know?)

But I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem for a good aeronautical powerplant engineer, just as re-designing a cargo-vessel into an aircraft carrier is all in a day's work for a naval architect. ;-)

Actually, if you have Harriers, that is not so difficult. Any flat surface will do, including a container ship...