HMS Queen Elizabeth. 3 years, no jets then scrapped.

I think its a bloody good idea (the V22 laser thingy) but I note one or two technical difficulties...

Yokel

LE
wc

But Ocean could embark Harriers, but the position of the forward Phalanx would be something of an obstruction. She was designed to be about to transport them after all. US, Italian and Spaniah AV8B's have all spent time aboard Illustrious or Ark Royal in recent years. Why not Ocean?

As for the refit - who knows. But £100 million does seem a lot for a refit.

P2000

LE
A quick google suggests that Lusty's current refit comes in at about £40m, which buys you a new DII installation and some fun with funnels.

Given the chatter about Mighty Oggin's material state, it's not surprising that she's going to cost a bit more. I really doubt anyone, in the current climate, would propose making her Harrier capable. It simply would not get Ministerial sign off.

PS Love the nuclear V22 idea. But can they do ASW? ;-)

Has everybody forgotten? There are no Harriers anymore. Uncle Dave has consigned them to the scrapheap.
Converting Ocean to accomadate them would be a bot ofa waste of time.

DarkBlueLoggie

War Hero
I feel saddened that nobody has commented on my exciting new proposal.
I think you'll find your proposal is fatally flawed. A crew of SIX?? Don't you know how much aircrew costs these days? You'll have to think of how to thin those numbers down - possibly some sort of artificial intelligence? Nothing a good computer engineer couldn't sort out I'm sure...

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I think you'll find your proposal is fatally flawed. A crew of SIX?? Don't you know how much aircrew costs these days? You'll have to think of how to thin those numbers down - possibly some sort of artificial intelligence? Nothing a good computer engineer couldn't sort out I'm sure...
After all, it's only software, how difficult, expensive and late can a few lines of computer code be?

Yokel

LE
It will go underwater - and have an underwater laser.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks Glock - the wording is stragely reminiscent ...

"I sat on the booster awaiting the kick -
Amusing myself by rotating my stick -
There goes the green light, the thing gives a cough
Cor blimey, says Wings, he's just tossed himself off!"

I feel saddened that nobody has commented on my exciting new proposal.
I'm shocked by your lack of vision.

Behold, the future of the Royal Navy!

Squadrons of Great White Sharks with RPG armed velociraptors!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm shocked by your lack of vision.

Behold, the future of the Royal Navy!

Squadrons of Great White Sharks with RPG armed velociraptors!

And why don't your sharks have laser cannon hmmmm?*

*gold plating statrs here

Wouldn't the raptor eat the shark?

Or the shark eat teh raptor?

And why don't your sharks have laser cannon hmmmm?*

*gold plating statrs here
Everybody knows that sharks can't be fitted with lasers*... ill tempered mutated sea bass on the other hand.

*that of course wont stop millions being spunked on R&D for lasers attached to sharks.

Um, excuse me but how many Cdr and Capt level commands will these laser armed Sea Bass sharks give? Because clearly according to the resident experts, THAT'S the critical planning assumption for any new Naval technology.

Wouldn't they be fitted for but not with the RPG

Or we would go to sea with 2 live rounds and a shit load of prac

What happens when another bigger boy shouts at the shark, will it run aground, cry for a bit and ask for more money for a lessons learned survey

Um, excuse me but how many Cdr and Capt level commands will these laser armed Sea Bass sharks give? Because clearly according to the resident experts, THAT'S the critical planning assumption for any new Naval technology.
One Cdr for each raptor and one capt for each shark....

You know we're getting raptor armed sharks by the end of the year.

As mentioned above, we may have t purchase weights for the RPGs so the raptors don't lose upper body strength due to lack of live rounds.

Edit:
A CPO and a couple of seamen to clean out the cages... and tanks.

Everybody knows that sharks can't be fitted with lasers*... ill tempered mutated sea bass on the other hand.

*that of course wont stop millions being spunked on R&D for lasers attached to sharks.
I can see a possible problem with your Sea Bass…*the countermeasures are already out there.

ETA:

A plan! We could use Big Mouth Bass for amphibious ops! Look at the size of that gape, you could carry midgets SEALS in there to carry out the boarding ops!

Thats it then.

Big Mouth Bass as your cheap FAC to do littoral boarding and amphibious ops backed up by Sharks with RPG* Armed Velocirators to provide the area defence.

* Until such time as the lasers for the sharks enter service.

chocolate_frog said:
Yeoman_dai said:
One Cdr for each raptor and one capt for each shark....

You know we're getting raptor armed sharks by the end of the year.

Edit:
A CPO and a couple of seamen to clean out the cages... and tanks.
Now you're just being silly. If each Sea Bass shark has his own Cdr or Capt in command, where are all these Cdr and Capts going to learn their command skills - opening tins of tuna in the mess?

The Navy needs to have a balance of aircraft ... oops, I mean a balance of aircraft and troop carrying vessels of varying sizes to provide proper professional development. Thus, it is clear that the Navy needs to invest in some lower end weaponry such as the pea shooter armed trout and the paint-gun armed perch.

small craft in action

one false move and the shark gets it

Come on, don't you think your shark is a little lightly armed

and here I was thinking sunoficarus was being all photoshop creative!!

I think you'll find a shoal of perch with paint guns can be just as effective as a shark carrying a velociraptor fitted for but not with an RPG.

So long as we have a Blue Whale armed with a mace as a mother ship.

Latest Threads