Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool

I can imagine it would draw a lot of visitors from all over Lancashire and Cheshire if not further, it's not everyday an Aircraft Carrier comes into port and to get a chance to go onboard is a winner. They are awsome ships to look at as well, warry but with clean lines.

Back in the sixties I remember ma & pa taking us squibs to the 'pool; from Burnley to see HMS Ark Royal. It seemed to us to be the biggest ship in the world.
And if it plants the seed in the head of youngsters to join-up that's a bonus.

Any news on when it's going to Birmingham?
It's there now mate. grab the wife and kids and get down there asap. Tell everybody you know ,not many people know it's there.

1580912896874.png

Print as many tickets that you need.
1580912750284.png

And if it plants the seed in the head of youngsters to join-up that's a bonus.
Absolutely agree. I remember during the Burnley Holidays {1st two weeks of July I think}, Townley Park had a funfair and Military demo's with equipment you could clamber around on, or at least look at. I think it had a great influence on making me join up.

It's a little known fact that the specification for the sonar on the QE requires it to spot submurged shopping trolleys for exactly that reason.

Totally off topic, but one of the problems facing the designers and operators of mine hunting sonar is that in many places the sea bed is littered with things that have fallen into the sea or been thrown in.

Incidentally, a lot of carrier related modeling and simulation work has been carried out at the University of Liverpool. I also think Cammell Laird did some work for the carriers.

Visiting Liverpool you say...

People will also be able to step on board over the weekend of 29 February – the first time one of the new aircraft carriers has officially been open to visitors.

The sheer scale of the ship will be a real spectacle on the River Mersey and is set to attract national and international attention, drawing massive crowds.

Before...
hmspow-jpg.447970

After...
article-2401491-1B721B33000005DC-311_970x744.jpg
"Old ships"....R05

The flight deck was made in parts over at lairds then put together up north. SOTV'wise , for some unknown reason its free tickets only admission (all gone) .

I got to go on the Ark Royal when I was a nipper in Belgium, it was berthed in Antwerp, being 7 years old on that flight deck was tucking scary!
I used to see her in the straits off Changi beach heading for Sembawang Naval Base, Singapore 1962-64. In fact the last HMS POW ended up not far North of there.

Looking forward to seeing her alongside at the Pier Head in Liverpool. Scouse jokes aside, Liverpool has a long and proud history of seafaring, and it'll be a brilliant sight to see.

Visit has created a lot of interest......all tickets went in 10 minutes I was told.I am hoping to get across to Birkenhead to take a few pics of POW spinning in River,should look tremendous in front of Liverpool Waterfront. eg.
P1110774.JPG