Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool

Yokel

LE
Does anyone remember the 1993 events in Liverpool to mark fifty years since the winning of the Battle of the Atlantic? Apart from ships' visits and a sail past, there was a flying display by naval and maritime aircraft, including RN Sea Harriers, ex RN Buccaneers, a Sea King HAS6 putting its dipping sonar in the water, a 771 NAS SAR cab, a Nimrod, and old warbirds including the BoB Memorial Flight.

Blakey

Swinger
My humble efforts. The weather was crap.

Attachments

• 07A8A81B-0637-43B1-A267-8CCFBED18480_1_105_c.jpeg
    07A8A81B-0637-43B1-A267-8CCFBED18480_1_105_c.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 306CA832-B714-407F-A491-C638D1C44F2C_1_105_c.jpeg
    306CA832-B714-407F-A491-C638D1C44F2C_1_105_c.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 41

soleil

War Hero
My humble efforts. The weather was crap.

I like them, Blakey, especially the one on the left - good composition. Is that the lighthouse at New Brighton?

Re the weather, there was some footage of the photographers trying to get some shots from HMS Charger and it was blowing an absolute gale; the sea looked really rough and the photographers got a real soaking.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
We parked at New Brighton and walked down to Seacombe (added bonus of getting my 10k steps in before lunch). The light was tricky as the sun was into the camera but managed to get this on the walk back. Mersey ferry Royal Iris [or as I remember it Mountwood] on the right.

IMG_7067a.JPG

Does anyone remember the 1993 events in Liverpool to mark fifty years since the winning of the Battle of the Atlantic? Apart from ships' visits and a sail past, there was a flying display by naval and maritime aircraft, including RN Sea Harriers, ex RN Buccaneers, a Sea King HAS6 putting its dipping sonar in the water, a 771 NAS SAR cab, a Nimrod, and old warbirds including the BoB Memorial Flight.

I was there. The fly past was so far out over the Mersey you'd have seen more of the planes by picking up a Jane's Silhouette book. For what it's worth, the pics I took show 1 BBMF Spit, 4 Buccs, 5 SHAR, 3 Nimrods, and a French P3.

We did get to see the Sandowns and P2000s up close in the Albert Dock though. Best memory was a long talk with two Canadian Merchant Navy Veteran's, both of them lovely chaps. Sadly no doubt long since passed away.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I spent Monday in Liverpool - only my second visit having passed through back in 1984 on my way to a two year tour in NI. The morning was spent on an RN industry day and the afternoon included a tour of 'Big Charlie':

Big Charlie2.jpg

An extraordinary day and for the first time in a while I felt proud of the UK and our ability to still create something at this scale. I was also hugely impressed by Liverpool - what a beautiful city! Only second to London on the listed architecture front and quite vibrant.

I confess to still hating that ghastly whining accent though:x

Last edited:
@Bubbles_Barker
I hope you enjoyed your visit on board.

I notice that you used the daily mail name for her. If it is as hated as the name the same paper uses for the QE I wouldn't use it on board.

I never had the chance to brief the daily mail how much we hated that name.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
@Bubbles_Barker
I hope you enjoyed your visit on board.

I notice that you used the daily mail name for her. If it is as hated as the name the same paper uses for the QE I wouldn't use it on board.

I never had the chance to brief the daily mail how much we hated that name.
They wouldn't listen.

Interesting point though - the crew used it quite happily and no media were about when I visited.

WAFUs came in for some stick mind :wink:

ok. I stand corrected.

Wafus always do get grief.

Not fully deserved. Jealousy I guess

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
ok. I stand corrected.

Wafus always do get grief.

Not fully deserved. Jealousy I guess
Don't worry - I get it, I've been called all sorts of things!

Not my pic,still very much under the weather after Fridays soaking.Chinook ,just lifted off to fly back south.