Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool

Yokel

LE
It's a little known fact that the specification for the sonar on the QE requires it to spot submurged shopping trolleys for exactly that reason.

Totally off topic, but one of the problems facing the designers and operators of mine hunting sonar is that in many places the sea bed is littered with things that have fallen into the sea or been thrown in.

Incidentally, a lot of carrier related modeling and simulation work has been carried out at the University of Liverpool. I also think Cammell Laird did some work for the carriers.

maritime

Old-Salt
Visiting Liverpool you say...

People will also be able to step on board over the weekend of 29 February – the first time one of the new aircraft carriers has officially been open to visitors.

The sheer scale of the ship will be a real spectacle on the River Mersey and is set to attract national and international attention, drawing massive crowds.

Before...

After...
"Old ships"....R05

maritime

Old-Salt
The flight deck was made in parts over at lairds then put together up north. SOTV'wise , for some unknown reason its free tickets only admission (all gone) .

I got to go on the Ark Royal when I was a nipper in Belgium, it was berthed in Antwerp, being 7 years old on that flight deck was tucking scary!
I used to see her in the straits off Changi beach heading for Sembawang Naval Base, Singapore 1962-64. In fact the last HMS POW ended up not far North of there.

Kevll@r

Old-Salt
Looking forward to seeing her alongside at the Pier Head in Liverpool. Scouse jokes aside, Liverpool has a long and proud history of seafaring, and it'll be a brilliant sight to see.

Visit has created a lot of interest......all tickets went in 10 minutes I was told.I am hoping to get across to Birkenhead to take a few pics of POW spinning in River,should look tremendous in front of Liverpool Waterfront. eg.
P1110774.JPG

Mind you all the fishheads wandering about the city will lower the tone somewhat....................................

You can lower the tone of the Pool even more?

To keep track of everyone for when the inevitable investigations into thefts of everything not bolted down occur
At least she won't be lured ashore with fires, by wreckers and scavengers,which was a popular pastime in other parts of the Country a while back?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Good excuse for the MoD...

"Oh it had lots of fast jets aboard before the Port visit to Liverpool".

At least she won't be lured ashore with fires, by wreckers and scavengers,which was a popular pastime in other parts of the Country a while back?
The Wirral wreckers? :-D