HMS Plymouth - Time Capsule Frigate

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Berlin_104s, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 30 years ago,I had my first shower in 27/28 days onboard her.They fed us too(reheated chips and pizza,if I recall)---Think I prefered the chicken supreme!

Aye,......Luxury.

Cheers Plymouth crew.

2. She was birthed in Plymouth (as well as the two locations mentioned in the text) for a while as a floating museum. The trouble was that Millbay Dock was bit of a shit-hole then and hardly an attractive proposition for visitors. Even with the entry fee as low as £1, she didn't get many visits, not enough to pay the mooring costs let alone the upkeep.

3. I got a quick look around her when she was at Birkenhead, arrived an hour or two early for the ferry and went to check out the museum. Bloody place had (just) closed down.

As luck would have it one of the keyholders appeared to remove his personal odds and ends from the collection and offered me a private tour. She was a bit tatty even back then.

Sad to see her go.

4. The Wardroom Decor is outstanding, and someone needs to tidy up that Ops room!

Always did like the T12's, beautiful ships

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Funny that the first pic is the two cookers looking like giant stainless crappers!

6. She's not really a time capsule, she was a museum in Birkenhead so it's not like she was parked up one day and the crew got off and left their cans of coke and tubes of pringles in the NAAFI.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If paid off in 1988 Pringles wouldnt have featured!

8. If I remember correctly (and it is about ten or eleven years since I was last on her), there was a small 'NAAFI' on board for visitors. I assume they were left over from that.