HMS Ontario

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Whiskybreath, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't think this has been covered elsewhere, but this is a brilliant story (especially if you're am Aubrey-Maturin fan).

The ship is in extraordinary condition. Video.
  2. Read it online

Whit a way to drown
  3. Based on the pictures on the internet and on the TV news here in the US she appears to be amazingly preserved. From some things said it sounds like it is in US waters but the discoverers sound like they are not divulging the location to preserve the ship from souvenir seekers. This will be helped by the reported depth. I would expect that the US will be very supportive of the War Graves designation if she is in the US; especially as there were reports of American POW's on board. RIP ships company and POW's.

One note is the reports refer to two "Crows Nests" on each mast. My former wife was assigned, when a LT(jg), to USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned ship afloat. I spent a lot of time at Constitution. I believe that what they are calling crows nests are actually "fighting tops" where marines would shoot down at the crew of enemy ships.
  4. I'd go along with that assessment of the fighting tops, however in this PC age the media might be forgiven for staying away from suggestions that the Brits might have been of an aggressive nature, and whooped some arrse in the Colonies.
  5. I think the fighting tops were at the top of the main mast, i.e. 1/3 of the way up, with another top, most probably what people think if as a crows nest, at the top of the topmast, i.e. 2/3 of the way up. The tops were big platforms for blokes to fight/shoot from, like here on HMS Victory.

My massive experience and knowledge comes from building a few models, and wearing a very nice anorak. Thanks for asking.
  6. From the drawings, and the rail around the one shown, those are indeed fighting tops on the fore and mainmasts. 'Crows nests' are for whalers, not men-o'-war.
  7. You insult large black Avian creatures and British Army recruits, I shall sue you as soon as I recover from the stress you have caused me.