Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Ocean

J

jake

Certain newspapers report that the crew of HMS Ocean dumped boxes of anthrax vacine 'over the side' because of concerns of side effects, amidst a military wide concern about the safety of the product... any comments?

In 20 years time there will be two types of veterans moaning about there service in the Gulf.  Those who went to GW1 complaining that they developed some sort of mystery disease called Gulf War Syndrome, quite unknown to rational medical science, but about which the 'legal profession' (like 'military intelligence' a contradiction in terms) especially in the USA are experts.  Or there will be those who went to GW2 complaining about the long term effects of woolsorter's disease (pulmonary anthrax) because they did not receive proper advice.  This last sort fall into the same group as the lard-arses who are suing McDonalds for making them fat, or the tossers coughing their last because they didn’t know cigarettes were dangerous.  Either way the lawyers will make a few bob.  As we say at my esteemed institution … "…..what the man's had a cardiac arrest…… quick call a Barrister'

Glue Ear: You are the veritable authority on all things! I served in GW1, and I know this is not a scientifict study but out of all the people I have served with for 23 years; 4 comrades who served in the Gulf have since committed suicide, whilst those who didn't- none have.

PS: In the Fleet, there are great rumours about dumped anthrax going about! But as they say "Loose lips sink ships"

QMan9193

Not a veritable expert, just a big mouthed tw*t I'll be the first to admit.

Geuninely sorry to hear about your mates but this is more likely to be related to PTSD rather than GWS.  You may wish to see my occupational health comments on the firefighters string.

What tw#t came up with the name HMS Ocean! Why not call it HMS Puddle or HMS damp patch. Sounds more like a cruise liner than a warship. :mad: :mad:

Whats the point in the anthrax vaccination any way. It takes a course of three injections spread over 6 months for the vaccination to take affect, & we are being informed the current madness should be over in about 6 to 7 months.

Pox Dr

Not entireley, limted protection is provided from the first injection but I agree requires 6 months for the full monty.

Had a chat with a PHD (that's not a medical Dr to you) relevant to this subject bearing chum and his comment was simply 'screw the side effects - have the injections, if the govt. going to spend the money then they believe there is a viable threat'.  So if you like betting then there are pretty good odds (getting Anthrax vs. side effects) that having the injections is worth it.  I might add he's in RNR Int (but not gay).

Anyone that disagrees should remind themselves of the quality of issue body armour...

Certain newspapers report that the crew of HMS Ocean dumped boxes of anthrax vacine 'over the side' because of concerns of side effects, amidst a military wide concern about the safety of the product... any comments?

Wouldn't be looking for info on the sly would you.....hack?

Ma

Its not like jake and I have been here before

JakeRe: Fireman's Strike Latest
« Reply #144 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:48pm »  Quote  Modify  

------------------------------------------------------------------------
In common with many, I monitor a number of boards &  news feeds ... there are many stories saying 'Operation Fresco' is over, all the GG's have been put back into storage... that certain troops covering (for instance Cumbria) have been withdrawn and warned off for other duties ? Any comments ?  

SubRe: Fireman's Strike Latest
« Reply #145 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 11:18pm »  Quote  Modify  Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope that's not a professional question Jake?    ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No just curious

"Once is an accident, twice is coincidence but three times is enemy action."   Ian Flemming whilst in the Admiralty Naval intelligence Division