HMS Ocean sold to Brazil

Classic FM reporting she goes to Brazil later this year, if I heard correctly, for £84 million.

Off it sail's to a Navy that wants it.
Can we not rent a few ships from Babcock/Serco/Aramark

Old news (like months), and not too bad a price considering her age. Something else to consider is that she has spent eleven of the last sixteen months deployed. A glance at her webpages shows how busy she has been:

News | Royal Navy (HMS Ocean selected as the news filter)

Picture of the new soon to be commissioned HMS Wight Link.
1518882234004.png

This is a state of the art Coastal Support/Landing Craft
1518882439850.png

All very hush, hush....................

Yes well sad little MP (my constituency [votes] first) deserves what he gets. I like his maths over the sale. I'd say it was more like a car, if you hadn't spend the £60+ million you wouldn't be selling it you'd be scrapping it.

I wonder what Brazil will do, expand their air fleet or scrap their existing flat top My guess the latter as she's 57 years old. [I must read wiki more often this is clearly the plan].

I wonder if we have a 'Falklands' clause in the sale. "In the event... short loan....South Atlantic use only".

Last edited:
beardyProf

Not read the link, but you do realise the refit ended in 2014 since when Ocean has been worked very hard? I wonder what level of refit she will undergo for the Brazilian Navy, and where?

I am sure you realise Brazil carrier, the Sao Paulo (formerly the French Foch) was retired as she needed a refit that was judged as too expensive.

...I wonder what Brazil will do, expand their air fleet or scrap their existing flat top My guess the latter as she's 57 years old...
I assume that Brazilian Navy Aviation will soon be an all rotary force as I can’t see them being able to afford a replacement for the São Paulo. However, Ocean could potentially bridge a ‘capability holiday’ until a replacement was procured by 2025 ish.

Regards,
MM

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I assume that Brazilian Navy Aviation will soon be an all rotary force as I can’t see them being able to afford a replacement for the São Paulo. However, Ocean could potentially bridge a ‘capability holiday’ until a replacement was procured by 2025 ish.

Regards,
MM
When they buy, at a knockdown price, either HMS Queen Elizabeth or HMS Prince of Wales :(

Classic FM reporting she goes to Brazil later this year, if I heard correctly, for £84 million.
Yup, preparation is well underway. She is a well used and abused vessel that was built to commercial standards. Her material state is becoming harder to maintain at the price MoD are willing to pay. Besides, I suspect most of her complement will basically be sent over to fill any gaps on both the Carriers and Albion.

The main job at the moment is that we need to fully identify, in cooperation with the Brazilians, exactly what they want/need from us both in terms of training and assurance. As to her refit pre sale, it will be to ensure she is fit for sea most likely. Be a shame when she goes, she has long been a familiar face over at Weston Mill.

Yes well sad little MP (my constituency [votes] first) deserves what he gets. I like his maths over the sale. I'd say it was more like a car, if you hadn't spend the £60+ million you wouldn't be selling it you'd be scrapping it.

I wonder what Brazil will do, expand their air fleet or scrap their existing flat top My guess the latter as she's 57 years old. [I must read wiki more often this is clearly the plan].

I wonder if we have a 'Falklands' clause in the sale. "In the event... short loan....South Atlantic use only".
Nope.

Regards,
MM
From what Wiki tells me they have 3 Skyhawks, not exactly a massive fixed wing capability.

I suspect most of her complement will basically be sent over to fill any gaps on both the Carriers and Albion.
I'd be surprised if they are not all needed on the CVF, I'm not aware of massive overmanning in the fleet at present.

I'd be surprised if they are not all needed on the CVF, I'm not aware of massive overmanning in the fleet at present.
They are needed yes, however they are also needed on other vessels as well. It's not just an issue of manpower shortage but also skillset shortage in several areas.

From what Wiki tells me they have 3 Skyhawks, not exactly a massive fixed wing capability.
Yep, all former Kuwaiti jets. Until recently, they also had some S-2T Turbo Trackers until not so long ago.

Regards,
MM

Does anyone want to buy some OPVs at the same time? One careful owner. ..

This topic has been discussed on arrse since last year,

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/cvf-and-carrier-strike-thread.178170/page-390#post-8103632

The tweets from the Labour MP for Devonport, he has no idea what is going on in his seat, or just trying to score a cheap political point. What future will the RN have if his Jeremy gets his hands on it?????
Luke Pollard is an utter dilbert of the worst kind. Clueless and overly opinionated on matters he has no understanding of. Well suited to Politics then.

Only got the seat because his Tory predecessor, Colvile, managed to be even more inept (managed to get himself a scandal relating to charging a bottle of milk on expenses). You get bored of #FlyTheFlagForDevonport banners very quickly.