HMS Invincible off to Turkish scrapyard

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Dunservin, Mar 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Pompey News:
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'm in Pompey tomorrow. I might pitch up to see her go. There's only one of my old ships left now and she's due to go soon
  3. Great! Nothing like securing a few more UK jobs for a year or two when you can do it overseas for the sake of a few measly quid
  4. Maybe she could park off Libya for a bit whilst enroute. Be a sort of floating airfield. I wonder if there are any little aeroplanes we could park on her. Then we could call her an aircraft carrier and support the no fly zone.
    Maybe a bit revolutionary or visionary but by God its an idea
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

She was auctioned off for scrap. The Turks aren't being payed to to do the work they're paying for the steel. British companies had the option to bid as well
  6. Hope they did a recce, otherwise they're going to get a bit more than they bid for in the way of concrete.
  7. What, and steal some of the RAF's thunder?

Harumph! ;-)
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Couldn't she go to Turkey first, load a brigade of Turks and then head for the Gulf of Sirte for a lap of honour?
  9. Beaten to it, I'm afraid. USS Kearsarge's Harriers have been flying 300 nm round-trip sorties hitting ground targets around Benghazi from the start. She also has the retrieval of two aircrew from a downed F-15 under her belt:
  10. But it isnt British. Everyone knows. We own the Med, ever since Nelson!
  11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

In 1946, a British squadron sailing into the Mediterranean met a US squadron sailing out. The American flagship signalled: "How is the world's second biggest navy?" The Navy's reply was "How is the world's second best?"