HMS Illustrious visits Malta

Ship sails into harbour....
HM ship docks in foreign port then?
This isn't just any old port or harbour. This is the Grand Harbour of Valletta!

It was up until the mid 70's a Royal Naval Station, with Hospital!

The RAF had their own runway at Luqa.

The Army were in various Barracks such as St Andrews & St Georges & Ghajn Tuffeiha.

The US 6th Fleet, would regularly stop over for some R&R & it wasn't unusual to see their carriers, anchored up outside the Harbour. Because they were too big to get in.
The John F Kennedy, The Shang ri la, The Enterprise, the Hornet were all visitors.

This was a big British base throughout WW2 & a very important one too!

We should never forget that!

This isn't just any old port or harbour. This is the Grand Harbour of Valletta!

It was up until the mid 70's a Royal Naval Station, with Hospital!

The RAF had their own runway at Luqa.

The Army were in various Barracks such as St Andrews & St Georges & Ghajn Tuffeiha.

The US 6th Fleet, would regularly stop over for some R&R & it wasn't unusual to see their carriers, anchored up outside the Harbour. Because they were too big to get in.
The John F Kennedy, The Shang ri la, The Enterprise, the Hornet were all visitors.

This was a big British base throughout WW2 & a very important one too!

We should never forget that!

You're forgetting the runway at Halfar,and Ghaijn Tuffiha was a hutted weekend camp.

Try early 70's,Mintoff stirring the locals,CO of an Air Sqn 'bottled' as he sat eating his meal in a restaurant in Selima,the police took 20 minutes to respond,the Skipper of Hermes,forbad any movement of Sqn pers,out of Luqa,the local Police were kicking the shit out of Hermes ratings,down the 'Gut',the Shore Patrol couldn't do a thing about it.

Weekend before we left,2 ratings went missing,1 was found VSI down the Gut,ended up in the Naval Hospital for 3 months,they found the other one 2 days after we went to sea...........face down in Grand Harbour,when the other rating returned to the ship,we found out they had been 'slapped about a bit' by the local police,the last he had seen of the dead rating,he was having the shit kicked out of him on the ground.

Malta was a shithole,full of ungrateful twats,who just wanted the money,I get invited to visit friends who have settled there,and are surprised by my attitude,pity I never found the plug,I'd have pulled it,and watch the place sink into the sea.

American Capital ships,always 'anchor off',ever since Pearl Harbour,nothing to do with size,the only time they tie up alongside is in the US ports.

Personally,I forgot it back in 1970.:dance:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The previous Illustrious sustained severe damage during the 1942 PEDESTAL convoy that relieved Malta and saved the island from having to surrender.

But the posters above wouldn't know that I take it.

[see Illustrious, by Kenneth Poolman].

You're forgetting the runway at Halfar,and Ghaijn Tuffiha was a hutted weekend camp.

Try early 70's,Mintoff stirring the locals,CO of an Air Sqn 'bottled' as he sat eating his meal in a restaurant in Selima,the police took 20 minutes to respond,the Skipper of Hermes,forbad any movement of Sqn pers,out of Luqa,the local Police were kicking the shit out of Hermes ratings,down the 'Gut',the Shore Patrol couldn't do a thing about it.

Weekend before we left,2 ratings went missing,1 was found VSI down the Gut,ended up in the Naval Hospital for 3 months,they found the other one 2 days after we went to sea...........face down in Grand Harbour,when the other rating returned to the ship,we found out they had been 'slapped about a bit' by the local police,the last he had seen of the dead rating,he was having the shit kicked out of him on the ground.

Malta was a shithole,full of ungrateful twats,who just wanted the money,I get invited to visit friends who have settled there,and are surprised by my attitude,pity I never found the plug,I'd have pulled it,and watch the place sink into the sea.

American Capital ships,always 'anchor off',ever since Pearl Harbour,nothing to do with size,the only time they tie up alongside is in the US ports.

Personally,I forgot it back in 1970.:dance:

You didn't like it then?

The last troops left in 1979!

The Royal Marines

The final task called of the Royal Marines was the covering of the withdrawal of the British Forces from Malta between 1977 to 1979.

oldbaldy

LE
Oldbaldy was posted out of St Georges Barracks in 1977, it went downhill from then. :)

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Mmmm. RN conducting multi-national minehunting exercises with Turkey. RN ship with RM Commando aboard and Apache capability operating in the Med. Several RN ships with RM Commando aboard and Apache capability planning on exercising in the Med soon.

Last time this coincidences lined up we shot the crap out of a local country involved in a vicious civil war. Good thing that's not going to happen again.

Mmmm. RN conducting multi-national minehunting exercises with Turkey. RN ship with RM Commando aboard and Apache capability operating in the Med. Several RN ships with RM Commando aboard and Apache capability planning on exercising in the Med soon.

Last time this coincidences lined up we shot the crap out of a local country involved in a vicious civil war. Good thing that's not going to happen again.
Buttering up some other Arab countries, too: HMS Montrose Pays a Visit to Algeria

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer

Shows a rather large USN ship 'anchored off'. Well done, RoofRat.

Shows a rather large USN ship 'anchored off'. Well done, RoofRat.
The USN carriers used to anchor off on the Hurd Bank because Grand Harbour, Marsaxmett and Sliema Harbour were absolutely chock a block with RN vessels.
In 1961, there was no room at the inn for SS Canberra and she had to park up on the Hurd Bank while they fixed a major propulsion problem - shame it was her maiden voyage

What makes you think that?

Those Apache helicopters have wheels, don't they? Do you think the army pilots know to slam the brakes on as soon as the wheels touch the deck? If not, we might be seeing some YouTube classics as the ship pitches up and 14 million quids worth of penis extension rolls off the stern and into the balmy waters of the Med.