HMS Illustrious in London

#1
Whats the plane on the deck at 1 min 50 sec? Here? She's there for Rememberence Sunday and it looks like they've a Eurofighter on the deck, is it?
 
#2
Its a JSF.
 
#3
Thats a bit cheeky considering they're delaying getting them, wonder if it's made out of fiberglass or if it's a real one...
 
#5
Quote from the article:

"The 26,000-tonne vessel is one of Britain's biggest aircraft carriers."

We've only got two!!!
 
#6
That is a bit of a disingenuous quote!

However, before this thread turns into a self-flagellation session like all equipment threads seem to do (especially naval ones), I'd just like to point out that only 9 countries in the world even have aircraft carriers, of which 5 have only 1 each and only 1 - the US - has more than 2!
 
#7
MotorMan said:
That is a bit of a disingenuous quote!

However, before this thread turns into a self-flagellation session like all equipment threads seem to do (especially naval ones), I'd just like to point out that only 9 countries in the world even have aircraft carriers, of which 5 have only 1 each and only 1 - the US - has more than 2!
So that puts us in joint second place then :D
 
#8
saintstone said:
MotorMan said:
That is a bit of a disingenuous quote!

However, before this thread turns into a self-flagellation session like all equipment threads seem to do (especially naval ones), I'd just like to point out that only 9 countries in the world even have aircraft carriers, of which 5 have only 1 each and only 1 - the US - has more than 2!
So that puts us in joint second place then :D
Yeah, with the fcuking French which is shaming enough!
 
#9
Yep - with Russia and (perhaps surprisingly) Italy. Although we also have RFA Argus which acts as a sort of 'helicopter platform plus'.

I think that the aircraft carrier situation worldwide helps to put Britain's place into perspective. Some people seem to think that because we aren't ruling the waves anymore, then we are nowhere - which in it's own way is just as ridiculous as believing that we are some kind of superpower. Of course we cannot compete in any way, shape or form with the US Navy and the same will be true of the Chinese and the Indian Navies within a decade or two but we are still easily within the top 10 in the world. We have aircraft carriers (no navy can consider itself 'blue water' without them), we have submarines that no one but a handful of countries can even detect and even our aging Type 23s are far in advance of the escort ships of most countries. It's time to stop comparing ourselves to superpowers and start comparing oursleves to other 'middle-weight' powers - and in that contest we come off very well indeed.
 
#10
Airfix said:
saintstone said:
MotorMan said:
That is a bit of a disingenuous quote!

However, before this thread turns into a self-flagellation session like all equipment threads seem to do (especially naval ones), I'd just like to point out that only 9 countries in the world even have aircraft carriers, of which 5 have only 1 each and only 1 - the US - has more than 2!
So that puts us in joint second place then :D
Yeah, with the fcuking French which is shaming enough!
Nope, they only have one at the moment. The Jeanne d'Arc is just a helicopter platform that has little more capability than our own RFA Argus. She certainly isn't an aircraft carrier proper.
 
#12
Perhaps its the only JSF we'll be buying! 8O
 
#13
well ive got bugger all on today so im off to find it.but have to find my camera first.bad drills.
 
#16
One_For_The_Ditch said:
Is it a real one????
The ship is. The F-35 isn't. Not sure about the sailors.
 
#18
I'm reminded of the motto of the French Navy..

"To the water, it is the hour !"

< A l'eau, c'est l'heure ! >

Coat on, taxi for one ordered...
 
#19
pot_aussie said:
Quote from the article:

"The 26,000-tonne vessel is one of Britain's biggest aircraft carriers."

We've only got two!!!
Technically, I think you will find the RN have NO aircraft carriers but throughdeck cruisers. It is all down to a government in the past stating categorically that the government would not fund such warships at such great expense. That is why there were classed throughdeck cruisers.

Spotter moment off.
 
#20
Capt Steve Chick, the best officer I ever served under. A truly awesome leader, I suspect his career will go all the way. Not scared of letting his hair down either, his comment about having a stiff drink after going through the Thames barrier made me smile, he didn't need much of an excuse when he was my CO!

EWD
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top