HMS Hunter found in Norwegian fjord, 68 years later.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by POGscribbler, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excellent POG, read about that Battle when i was a kid.
    john
    This Haochen wants sorting Dear Moderator.

2. I'm glad that there will be a service to commemorate the bravery ship and her crew :)

3. Well said Sir :salut:

4. My bold.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Who by? They don't actually say who will mark it as a war grave.
    I wonder if it will end up on the MCGA list of protected places?
    Since it is in another country's territorial waters, unless that country agrees, or designates it for us and puts provisions in place to control diving and salvage then the statement is false.

5. Rest In Peace

I'd be surprised if Norway, having a very long and proud sea-going tradition as well as great respect for that which the UK (of all European states) did during WWII, doesn't look after this site.

Eternal Father, strong to save
    Whose arm hath bound the restless wave.
    Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
    Its own appointed limits keep
    Oh hear us when we cry to thee
    For those in peril on the sea.

~ William Whiting (1825 – 1878)

6. You'd think that wouldn't you, but my experience is that these things are often alluded to and it's taken for granted by the people and eventually it comes out that in practice the relevant governments actually do very little to protect these war graves. When you think that it took 60 years in the case of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse to be designated protected places, and this does not apply to anyone who isn't a British national. (they're still being penetrated by sport divers).
    Which means that German divers (or any other non British nationality for that matter) may be able to dive HMS Hunter with impunity.
    Unless an undertaking is made by the Norwegian Government. I've yet to see anything along those lines. The article alludes to it but doesn't go further than that. We shall see. It's early days yet.
    The only thing protecting her at the moment is the extreme depth and cold. That and her precise position is probably a secret. But the cat's out of the bag and it's only a matter of time.