• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

HMS Grimbsy home from the Gulf

MoD said:
Sailing HMS Grimsby was MCM1 Squadron Crew 5, the 34 men and women tasked with operating the ship for the past eight-and-a-half months in some of the most challenging conditions imaginable.
Have a ******* word...

Know a lot about oceanology, acoustic propagation and high definition minehunting sonar do you?
Nope, but I know a lot about sitting in a Patrol Base in the middle of the Afghan summer, living off ration packs, with strictly rationed water, no welfare facilities and incoming fire multiple times a day. Lest you think this is me having a pop at the Navy, I can't imagine that being submerged on a V-Boat for months on end in much fun either. Or living in permanent darkness with the British Antarctic Survey.

'Most challenging conditions imaginable', my arse. Especially when you can pop to the Hard Rock Cafe in Kuwait City or TGI Fridays in Dubai every couple of weeks.

HMS GRIMSBY? By 'Eck!
is it a mine trawler?
You're closer than you think:

MCDOA website said:
In 1907 Admiral Lord Charles Beresford was Commander-in-Chief of the Home Fleet. After a visit to ports on the east coast of England, he was the first to recommend the use of Grimsby trawlers for minesweeping duties. He wrote:

"Our fishing fleets, in war, will be rendered inactive and will, in consequence be available for war service. Fishermen, by virtue of their calling, are adept in the handling and towing of wires and trawls, more so than are naval ratings. Small naval vessels, if used in minesweeping, will be used at the expense of other urgent war requirements."

C

cloudbuster

Poor bastards. "Grimsby." My deepest sympathies. Hope the Andrew give you a bit of counselling.

(BTW, the OP might want to re-arrange some of the letters in the title. They're all there, just not necessarily in the right order.)

There's confusion here about what "challenging conditions" is meant to mean.

Challenging living/working conditions? Not really - it's life in a blue suit. Or perhaps "challenging conditions" means difficult for the sonar and other technologies?

Sweeper swans around in the sun for 3 years.

One of the Seapersons aboard reported 'they were the most challenging conditions imaginable, we couldn't get any Ambre Solaire for love nor money'

Latest Threads