HMS Erebus or HMS Terror

Wow.

Something new to research

The book Barrows Boys, educated me on this tragic disappearance. Once the second ship is found, the RN will do them proud.

There was a programme on the BBC a few years ago in which a couple of relatives of a Marine and a Sailor , who were on this expedition , were present when the bodies of their forebears were discovered .... virtually perfectly preserved in the permafrost .... cause of death almost certainly lead poisoning from early attempts at tinned food . I then read a book ... title forgotten ... which was some sort of record of those who tried to man haul there ship's boats across the snow to safety ... none survived ... I think they were shunned by the Eskimo's who saw them as a threat to their own meagre food supplies .

There was a programme on the BBC a few years ago in which a couple of relatives of a Marine and a Sailor , who were on this expedition , were present when the bodies of their forebears were discovered .... virtually perfectly preserved in the permafrost .... cause of death almost certainly lead poisoning from early attempts at tinned food . I then read a book ... title forgotten ... which was some sort of record of those who tried to man haul there ship's boats across the snow to safety ... none survived ... I think they were shunned by the Eskimo's who saw them as a threat to their own meagre food supplies .
The remains that were researched were those of John Torrington RN and the researchers were surprised to find that he had under gone a complete postmortem before being interred. Very high levels of lead were found in his remains. TS, the Barrow Boys was an excellent read.

The remains that were researched were those of John Torrington RN and the researchers were surprised to find that he had under gone a complete postmortem before being interred. Very high levels of lead were found in his remains. TS, the Barrow Boys was an excellent read.

I now recall that part in the programme .... early X Rays carried out revealed main body organs in the wrong parts of the body .... were they not both buried in their best kit ? I am sure there were piles of rusting cans near the graves and you could see the excess of lead on the inside .

There is fictional horror story about the Ship and crews fate. Quite well researched I think and quite a good read.

Dan Simmonds the Terror.

I have had an interest in this expedition for a while now. The organisation and thought that went into these expeditions is a real testimony to the people involved. Whilst I haven't got any references at hand, the current view is that lead contamination from cans may have not been the main cause of the lead contamination. The ships had ingenious water purification systems which distilled water through lead piping which is believed to have magnified the problem. In addition, the supplies of lemon juice were too old to be of much use with the result that scurvy played a role in the demise of the expedition.

I originaly developed an interest here as I often wondered why pure bred eskimos do not seem to get scurvy. It seems to come down to ;

1] Their bodies do not have a metabolic block on vit c synthesis.
2] They make a seaweed gruel.
3] They get sufficient vit c or clotting co factors from the blood of seals etc.

Anyway, I digress.

There is a science fiction book called terror by an author called Dan Simmons published in 2008. It is a bout 700 pages and in great detail examines the biographies of the crew and some of the issues involved in the loss of the expedition ( obviously you have to read around the sci fi element). To be a tv seresi in 2017 called terror.

G-d rest their souls.
Raise the ships bells and take them through the NW passage to where they should have come out and then ring each one once for the number of souls on that ship. They would then have accomplished their mission.
Yes, yes, I know I'm a sentimental old fart. bless me its dusty here.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
G-d rest their souls.
Raise the ships bells and take them through the NW passage to where they should have come out and then ring each one once for the number of souls on that ship. They would then have accomplished their mission.
Yes, yes, I know I'm a sentimental old fart. bless me its dusty here.

That is actually a rather touching and understated tribute.

Very Canadian, very British.

JohnSmith

Old-Salt
The book Barrows Boys, educated me on this tragic disappearance. Once the second ship is found, the RN will do them proud.

Two good book are:- Journey to the Polar Sea, written by Franklin himself, after his 1819 expedition to map Northern Canada, where they nearly bit of more than they could handle & the rather sad book: The Voyage of the Fox by Captain Francis Mc Clintock, this was the final search expedition that came back with an explanation as to what had happened & also brought back relics of the expedition.

Amazingly, both books are still in print & available on Amazon!!!!!

I remember about ten or so years ago, the maritime museum at Greenwich had a exhibition on the Franklin Expedition with many if not all of the items returned by the Fox on display.

Latest Threads