HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon

Royal Navy survey ship HMS Enterprise will sail to Lebanon as part of a wide-ranging package of military support made available today by Defence Secretary Ben Wallace

Continue reading...

offog

LE
Don't tell me, captain is James t Kirk?

Why would RN name a ship with the same name as a) a GBFO space shuttle and b) Herald of Free....
Could possibly be that HMS Enterprise has been on the RN books for a number of year.

miner69er

Old-Salt
With Hezbollah knocking around I would hope they keep a good watch. Dont forget how they treat those who offer them sucour in their hour of need:

60% of all Lebanon's food goes into and out of a port that's just had a 2.5ktn explosion in it.

For simple safety of navigation (and thus reduction P&I dues), an up to date port survey can only be a good thing.

Enterprise? That'll confuse more than a few septics.

Why would RN name a ship with the same name as a) a GBFO space shuttle and b) Herald of Free....
Ahem... first HMS Enterprise dates back to 1705. She was actually a French ship captured, and since Enterprise worked in both French and English, the RN kept the name. (Same goes for the first HMS Invincible.) She only lasted a couple of years, but the RN then built a second Enterprise in 1709. So, given that the Americas were still then a vaguely loyal colony, we got there first!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't tell me, captain is James t Kirk?

The RN had a habit of buying captured enemy vessels into the Service.

If the enemy had put up a decent fight , as a compliment the ship's name was kept in the RN lists.

'HMS Enterprise - Wikipedia

Fifteen ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Enterprise (or HMS Enterprize) while another was planned:

'

The first USS Enterprise was a prize taken from the accursed British by one Colonel Benedict Arnold.

Slime

LE
60% of all Lebanon's food goes into and out of a port that's just had a 2.5ktn explosion in it.

For simple safety of navigation (and thus reduction P&I dues), an up to date port survey can only be a good thing.
There is something in your post I can’t remember reading before in recent times.

How often do we ever see ‘ktn’ level explosions in modern times?

There is something in your post I can’t remember reading before in recent times.

How often do we ever see ‘ktn’ level explosions in modern times?
Outside of volcanos? Pass.

Yokel

LE
I wonder when Enterprise will arrive on station and start tasking? I wonder if part of her role will be to identify smaller ports that could be used for critical supply.

Some people might wonder why sending a hydrographic vessel is helpful. It is just like sending Sappers to check roads and bridges.

I wonder when Enterprise will arrive on station and start tasking? I wonder if part of her role will be to identify smaller ports that could be used for critical supply.

Some people might wonder why sending a hydrographic vessel is helpful. It is just like sending Sappers to check roads and bridges.
measure the big hole so they have a handle on Refilling it. Plot the empteen hundred containers and other stuff littering the port bottom. It’s what she’s designed fur.

Yokel

LE
I know - but some people seem to look at the water and see nothing. The problem is always what you cannot see. How much debris was blown into the water or went overboard from ships in the port?

However, there must be Lebanese ports other than Beirut, even if they are minor ones that only smaller merchant vessels can use?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tyre and Sidon.

Admiralty Chart 1561: Ports in Lebanon

Confusingly, Lebanon's second largest port is called Tripoli - nowhere near Libya.

Limited capacity in comparison with Beirut. I suspect this is about to change.....

Our Facilities and Services
• Container freight station
• Customs clearance
• Scanning
• Container repair
• Logistics facilities Infrastructure and Equipment Quality, Health, Safety
• New quay of 600 m
• 3 Post panamax gantry cranes •
9 Rubber tyred gantry cranes
•15 Terminal tractor units
• 16 m draft
• 320 m turning basin
• 60 m outreach/40m high
• 10 hectares of yard space
• Initial capacity of 400,000 TEU per annum
• Reachstackers, empty handlers and forklifts
• Full workshop facilities
• Linked across the Arabian Peninsula to Gulftainer’s Umm Qasr Logistics Centre in Iraq by our logistics
iPing #Adjutant17P&MRegt RLC :)

( @Mexeman what's the draft of Fort Rosalie, if she is still in service ? )

Last edited:

Latest Threads