HMS Echo sets sail for two-year deployment

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. 'Operations' abroad? What, pinging the ******* seabed?

3. Who do you have to piss off to wind up on a 2 year deployment?

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Does the crew actually stay on the ship for two years
    IIRC the Harrier deployment to Afghanistan was touted as two or three years but crews rotated every 2 - 4 months
    Do the crew rotate in a freindly port?

5. Yeah they will, rotating crews is something that happens alot nowadays. The Minehunters in the gulf swap there crews about every xx months with a crew from home.

6. They had some minesweepers that stayed in the GOP for some considerable time, and rotated the crews in Manāma. I would guess that this would be the same. They could probably expect to do around six months at a time.

By the way, FM. They don't just ping the sea bed, they record the seawater temperature and density as well.

7. 3 watch manning means the rotations are considerably less than 6 months - a system used on all H boats and the Fish Sqn. Most of the guys I speak to quite like it, as they can plan for the full 2 years.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Spot the OP, MoD spin, no sailor will sign on for 2 years away these days.

Nice to know the MoD think arrse influences opinion.

9. The survey vesels do a number of tasks - including information gathering which is of direct importance to operations, particularly mines countermeasures, amphibious operations, and anti submarine warfare. Additionally she can act as command and control platform for mine sweeping/hunting - a role performed by Herald in 1991 and Roebuck in 2003 - in both cases they did operational route surveys.

And yes, the ship is deploying for two years.