HMS Diamond joins the fleet

Why doesn't the RN give warships proper names anymore?
Revenge, Warspite, Savage, the list of good names is endless yet they chose Diamond?

Revenge, Warspite, Savage, the list of good names is endless yet they chose Diamond?
I know what you mean mate. After all, there have only been 12 HMS Diamonds, dating back to 1652. Why can't we get back to proper, warry names like HMS Primrose, HMS Blonde and HMS Plumper (all of those are real). *******.

Ships' names are recycled. I do believe the names of old battleships are now reserved for submarines.

Don't complain too much - there used to be a "Gay" class of patrol boats. HMS Gay Bruiser could yet be raised from the dead.

Seems a shame to waste a good name with bite on a destroyer (or submarine) though, doesn't it?

At least we don't have that American tradition of naming ships after people complete with middle initial eg "USS Hiram P. Shonkeymann III"..

Perhaps the new ship is to be crewed entirely by geezers, so they can be 'real diamond geezers'?

I know what you mean mate. After all, there have only been 12 HMS Diamonds, dating back to 1652. Why can't we get back to proper, warry names like HMS Primrose, HMS Blonde and HMS Plumper (all of those are real). *******.
Yeh but that was when the Royal Navy had more ships than names, not exactly the case these days!

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
And whose heart wouldn't thrill to serve on HMS Pansy, or HMS Cockchafer (later taken up as an accommodation ship for WRNS, I kid you not).

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems a shame to waste a good name with bite on a destroyer (or submarine) though, doesn't it?

At least we don't have that American tradition of naming ships after people complete with middle initial eg "USS Hiram P. Shonkeymann III"..
I am looking forward to the launch of the USSs Randy Bender, Everard Cox and Hugh Jarse.

More like one followed by another! Perhaps avoiding a sandbar?
It's a bit of 'pulling doughnuts in the car park to impress my bezza's in the 'hood and the slapper on the bridge.' Pimp my ship will be next