HMS Diamond joins the fleet

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, May 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Why doesn't the RN give warships proper names anymore?
    Revenge, Warspite, Savage, the list of good names is endless yet they chose Diamond?

3. I know what you mean mate. After all, there have only been 12 HMS Diamonds, dating back to 1652. Why can't we get back to proper, warry names like HMS Primrose, HMS Blonde and HMS Plumper (all of those are real). *******.

4. Ships' names are recycled. I do believe the names of old battleships are now reserved for submarines.

Don't complain too much - there used to be a "Gay" class of patrol boats. HMS Gay Bruiser could yet be raised from the dead.

5. Seems a shame to waste a good name with bite on a destroyer (or submarine) though, doesn't it?

At least we don't have that American tradition of naming ships after people complete with middle initial eg "USS Hiram P. Shonkeymann III"..

6. Perhaps the new ship is to be crewed entirely by geezers, so they can be 'real diamond geezers'?

7. State of that f'kin rust on the front!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeh but that was when the Royal Navy had more ships than names, not exactly the case these days!

9. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

And whose heart wouldn't thrill to serve on HMS Pansy, or HMS Cockchafer (later taken up as an accommodation ship for WRNS, I kid you not).

10. Is it being scrapped?

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Maybe the French have bought it?
    It appears to be doing a U turn

12. I am looking forward to the launch of the USSs Randy Bender, Everard Cox and Hugh Jarse.

13. More like a handbrake turn!

14. More like one followed by another! Perhaps avoiding a sandbar?