HMS Brocklesby joins NATO exercise in the Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. "Next week we move into the tactical phase and I am sure that we will be capable of locating and prosecuting any dummy mines in our area of operations, as well as defending against any simulated attacks.

Is "prosecuting" Navy talk for "blow the mine out of the water"?

3. So glad you asked. If its actuation system is unknown, the mine may require investigating, rendering safe and recovering for 'exploitation' by the boffins ashore so they can find out what makes it tick and develop appropriate mine countermeasures, including self-protective measures for transiting ships.

Sea mines come in all shapes and sizes. They range from the familiar spherical steel 'coin-in-the-slot' moored mine collection box found on seaside promenades to stealth shapes that lie on the seabed and blend with their surroundings. Mine cases can be made of steel, aluminium or even Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP). Normally, bottom (or ground) mines contain larger amounts of explosives than moored mines because they do not need to be positively buoyant or bear the weight of a cable anchoring them to the seabed.

Sea mines can be laid by various platforms including aircraft, surface ships, submarines or small boats. Types include:

• Moored mine - positively buoyant and can be anchored to lie just beneath the surface of the water or at any other chosen depth.
    • Bottom mine - negatively buoyant and remains on the seabed waiting for targets to approach close enough to be destroyed. Also called a ground mine.
    • Mobile mine - designed to be propelled to its intended lay position by propulsion equipment like a torpedo. It sinks at the end of its run and then operates like a mine.
    • Oscillating mine - hydrostatically controlled to maintains a pre-set depth below the surface of the water independently of the rise and fall of the tide.
    • Homing Mine - fitted with propulsion equipment and homes on to its target, possibly using a torpedo motor or rocket.
    Influences liable to actuate a mine can include a vessel's discrete magnetic signature, UEP (Underwater Electrical Potential) signature, acoustic signature, pressure signature or combinations thereof.

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Plus of course timers, delays, ship counts etc. and mines being set to a particular profile so as not to give the game away by going off wastefully and blowing up the wrong sort of ship.

As to this vast NATO exercise, oh good, we can spare an MCMV. Rule Britannia.