HMS Ark Royal to be Scrapped Immediately

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by parker123, Oct 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like Clinton is running the MOD now!

R.I.P. HMS Ark royal

2. Clinton - as in the card selling shop? :) Might do a better job!

3. I bet Rod Stewart will be happy.

4. So far no bids from El Almirante Jorge Omer Godoy

5. Without understanding the full implications of what I'm suggesting, won't they just rename one of the two 'new' carriers Ark Royal. I have a dim and distant memory that they did that last time round?

6. (gasps audibly) That's bad luck, old boy!

7. So, no air cover for the navy for ten years, May as well bring all their "boats" home for a decade and save more money. Well on the plus side, it might discourage politicos from launching into random wars outside Europe for no good reason.

8. Farewell Falkland Islands, hello Las Malvinas...

9. We've got a slightly bigger aircraft carrier down there now, we call it East Falkland. As much as it's a good chance to get outraged, they're not saying 'no air cover' (there will be helicopters and so on launched from them and maybe I heard American aircraft will 'rent' space on them) and there isn't a forseeable conflict where we would need a carrier (the idea being that if we get attacked in the falklands, we concentrate on keeping them rather than taking them back)

10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

It wouldn't surprise me if we sell it to the argie's to pay for the new ones !!!

11. Ahh...The joys of "We don't see a threat" Given HM Government's complete failure to spot the future needs of the Forces in the last 40 odd years I have even less than no faith in such pronouncements from on high.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ah.....OK.....Not my area of expertise by a long chalk.

Still, even with my lack of knowledge it sounds like a load of bollocks to scrap a carrier and harrier and build 2 new ones but not be able to put jets on them?

Now you can get a train to France, maybe it's been largely forgotten we live on an island in the North Atlantic?

13. Didn't the junta regard the proposed de-commissioning of HMS Endurance as a sign of HMG's seeming disinterest in the Falklands? Caused something of a stir in the end...^_~