Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS AMBUSH 'ambushes' a merchant ship near Gibraltar

The noisy bit is at the back. The big bulbous lumps that many large merchant vessels have at the front can hide the noise of the propellers.
Call me Mr Picky but isn't the entire purpose of that sort of submarine to find other ships so they can sink them?

They didn't even try to bluff that they had and were trying to save on the torpedo budget.

Given the paucity of just about everything in the RN, how can the RN create a trade off between nail biting training and saving platforms?

Go to far and you train the trainee but break the boat... And, why not use the older boats to conduct this type of training?

(Unless they are U/S and you can't...)

Surely, the modern boats have better things to be doing if the T Class can shoulder the training burden?

Given the paucity of just about everything in the RN, how can the RN create a trade off between nail biting training and saving platforms?

Go to far and you train the trainee but break the boat... And, why not use the older boats to conduct this type of training?

(Unless they are U/S and you can't...)

Surely, the modern boats have better things to be doing if the T Class can shoulder the training burden?

A significant problem is that the RN has no “training fleet”. We do all of our practical training in frontline units. That is one of the reasons why we were so shagged out 4 or 5 years ago. To the disgust of some, we’ve moved to far more synthetic training - a move I fully support. As a trainer, I could push the technical aspects of training far further in a simulator. However, I won’t deny that having multiple ships charging at one another does add to the “pucker factor”...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A significant problem is that the RN has no “training fleet”. We do all of our practical training in frontline units. That is one of the reasons why we were so shagged out 4 or 5 years ago. To the disgust of some, we’ve moved to far more synthetic training - a move I fully support. As a trainer, I could push the technical aspects of training far further in a simulator. However, I won’t deny that having multiple ships charging at one another does add to the “pucker factor”...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pucker or Pukka?

The old boys from Rum Ration will tell you it was better when all the training was done at sea, blah blah blah. Proper weapons like ASW mortars and Bofors guns, no women or gays, blah blah blah...

Interestingly, in his accounts of the action against ARA Belgrano, the CO of HMS Conqueror described the attack as being just like in the simulator at Faslane, expect that at the point of starting to evade in the simulator he would wipe the sweat from his brow and go for a cup of tea.

expect that at the point of starting to evade in the simulator he would wipe the sweat from his brow and go for a cup of tea.
Would he? I would have thought that, having announced to the (simulated) world his presence, he would have to demonstrate his competence at e&e, or face a thrashing.

The old boys from Rum Ration will tell you it was better when all the training was done at sea, blah blah blah. Proper weapons....no women or gays blah

They/we do? I'm sure that all would rather do fire fighting and damage control training with hot stuff and wet stuff ashore. As for weapons, some members of a certain vintage like our pongo brethren fondly recall the proper SLR.

Homosexuals have served since forever and of those I knew -ffnnarrr - in the prohibition days, more were protected by their shipmates all the way up -titter - the chain of command than were ever prosecuted/binned.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone thinks simulators are new, the RN has been using them since the 1950s at least (given the limitations of 1950s technology) in the form of (for instance) the Dryad Ops Room models and the ASTT (Anti Submarine Tactical Teacher) (where during wash-ups the UV light tastefully illuminated the Wrens' bras by making the detergent in them flouresce). Vernon also had Asdic teacher trailers whose formal name I have forgotten. Whaley had a Battle Practice gun mounting on a rolling platform. Phoenix had a Damage Control simulator. Etc. etc. At sea in the 1960s Seacat had a simulator built in called Theta for aimer practice.

They/we do? I'm sure that all would rather do fire fighting and damage control training with hot stuff and wet stuff ashore. As for weapons, some members of a certain vintage like our pongo brethren fondly recall the proper SLR.

Homosexuals have served since forever and of those I knew -ffnnarrr - in the prohibition days, more were protected by their shipmates all the way up -titter - the chain of command than were ever prosecuted/binned.

Do you self identify as an old boy?

Seems a shame to have all those old subs tied up alongside at Devonport. Surely they cut the front half off off a couple and use them for training?