HMS AMBUSH 'ambushes' a merchant ship near Gibraltar

Periscope discipline a bit iffy too. I always thought there was a radius where if a surface vessel encroached then it would dive deep unless fishing vessels where it would surface. Perhaps the skipper hadn't seen the same Perisher that I had. :cool:

Boats can be fixed, as long as the crew is ok then it's bad, but not a catastrophe.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
That I suspect is a couple of careers down the pan. Playing bumper cars with one of HM Submarines isn't a popular game.

And as one or two other people have commented, a merchant ship going about her usual business is not the most stealthy object known to mankind. Bit difficult to explain how said submarine - packed with state of the art detection systems - happened to bounce off of it.

Wordsmith

a merchant ship going about her usual business is not the most stealthy object known to mankind. Bit difficult to explain how said submarine - packed with state of the art detection systems - happened to bounce off of it.
The noisy bit is at the back. The big bulbous lumps that many large merchant vessels have at the front can hide the noise of the propellers.

For sale, RN officers uniform and dress sword.....

Not the best day to bend your boat on the day 1SL got a bit of a beasting in Parliament

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
i suspect the Op Look may have not allowed for the very nasty underwater currents in that area and someone got their bubble lost. Interestingly not as big an issue if it had been any other SSN of the worlds navy. With the no penetrating masts it means less issues replacing things and testing the pressure hull.

Oops! I suspect the Captain is staring at the harbour lights signalling his career dissipation warning! Rather embarrassing after only 2 years in service, I would suggest it's going to take at least a year to straighten out that mess and get her seaworthy again; this is what she looked like yesterday -
image.jpeg

And now the game of ever reducing numbers begging the question, is there another platform to replace her?
Type 45, no Type 26, shagged out T23 - will Defence be a priority of May?

There must be a minimum number of platforms to provide a creditable defence, I suggest we are far below it now.

Latest Threads