HMRC Tax Code Error - War Pensions, SIP

I had this discussion with HMRC back in 1997 when I found out I was being taxed on my SIP ans war pensions.
It took ages on the phone and a dig out of the relevant service publication that I kept a copy of to eventually persuade the bloke on the other end of the phone of the situation.
I won and ended up with the backdated tax back
I'll be very pissed off if I have to go through the same bolox again
In 1997 HMRC were on top of their game (or getting there) - see my earlier post. If they struggled then (when they were well led, well manned, and trying hard) chances are they will be even more hard work in their current low-budget peanuts/monkeys configuration.

Brace yourself, and get your facts together.

Many of us who post on here have a bit about us, will chase things and not give up if we feel we are wronged, no matter how frustrating.

What we should be concerned about is that there are lots of young soldiers out there who don’t have that ability and are already dealing with many stresses This just adds another layer, any of us can tolerate so much, for some things like this could be the final straw. All because someone who works in an office can’t get their shit together.

I can’t remember ever refusing to deal with a device or putting the onus on someone else to do my job, I’m quite confident that those of you in other trades were retry much the same. These clowns think they are impervious.

I think this is symptomatic of customer 'experience' in much of Britain. I despair of dealing with bots who quote pull down menus and cannot/do not vary from the script. I don't get personal and I don't lose my temper (it's difficult not to, mind), but I always insist I get a transcription or recording of my calls. I have taken the time to read up on consumer law and on fraud; a couple of years ago I caught out a high street bank for sending letter signed by a 'Jane Smith', who simply didn't exist within the company. I pointed out that uttering false information in a financial document was potentially fraudulent; they apologised and I got £75 by way of embarrassing them (but no explanation why they had done so for several years). What gets my goat is, that in spite of some of the toughest consumer laws in Europe, and regular and stupendous fines for wrong-doing, well-known firms will still knowingly evade direct questions, inflate renewal quotes and give false or misleading information to their customers.

Last edited:
I called Veterans Welfare Services yesterday (Kidderminster), they have spoken to Equinity Paymaster who will send out letters to confirm both my Medical Discharge Pension and Guaranteed Income Payment (AFCS) are tax free. They could take up to 20 days.

VWS are going to flag this issue up higher. I will also speak to my MP to try and prevent this type of thing from occurring again.

I called Veterans Welfare Services yesterday (Kidderminster), they have spoken to Equinity Paymaster who will send out letters to confirm both my Medical Discharge Pension and Guaranteed Income Payment (AFCS) are tax free. They could take up to 20 days.

VWS are going to flag this issue up higher. I will also speak to my MP to try and prevent this type of thing from occurring again.
Well done! Interestingly today I received my pension notification from Equinity and it has reverted to an emergency tax code but the tax deduction is suspiciously low. I've done my own tax returns for about 20 years having had rental properties, but I can't work out how tax on a SIP is calculated.

Well done! Interestingly today I received my pension notification from Equinity and it has reverted to an emergency tax code but the tax deduction is suspiciously low. I've done my own tax returns for about 20 years having had rental properties, but I can't work out how tax on a SIP is calculated.
Is it meant to be No Tax?

Do you receive a medical pension and WPS/AFCS?

I’ve attempted to find the relevant legislation that provides Armed Forces Medical Discharge Pensions and GIPs are free from tax, with no joy.

I suspect these may be buried in taxation laws or an SI that is apparent.

Has anyone had any joy with this?

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Could you give me a steer please, it appears HMRC rules covers many manuals with no listing for Armed Forces Pensions or Public Pensions.
I haven't got chapter and verse, Dingerr. I just know the process.

I also know that the tax status of any benefit is not in the schemes. I had my wrist smacked by a stern Parliamentary Counsel for trying to get the tax free status of the pension lump sum written into the Secondary Legislation governing AFPS 05. I was told very firmly that MOD was not a tax raising body!

I will see if I can find out where it is written in HMRC terms but, having looked yourself, you will know it is confusing.

I haven't got chapter and verse, Dingerr. I just know the process.

I also know that the tax status of any benefit is not in the schemes. I had my wrist smacked by a stern Parliamentary Counsel for trying to get the tax free status of the pension lump sum written into the Secondary Legislation governing AFPS 05. I was told very firmly that MOD was not a tax raising body!

I will see if I can find out where it is written in HMRC terms but, having looked yourself, you will know it is confusing.
Thank you for trying, it’s a difficult battle without giving them something to reference to.

This is now sorted.

I was told that even though the tax code shows as BR my pension & GIP would not be taxed as it had already been set up that way.

It’s just a shame I got an absolute muppet first time around.

Is there nobody on this thread who lives in Barnsley? That's one Labour MP,at least, who might be expected to take an active interest in the welfare of ex-soldiers.

Latest Threads