HMP Belfast

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by india-juliet, Jun 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On a recent question to the NIPS regarding the Prison on the Crumlin Road, this was there response :

"I can confirm that Belfast Prison is a listed building. There are plans to redevelop the site, along with Girdwood Barracks, with possibly a museum in the prison. The prison is now under the control of the North Belfast Partnership."

Possibly a museum, hmmmmm are they trying to model it on Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin. ?
  2. In a word. Yes.
  3. And I thought I was going to hear that a warship in the Thames was about to be converted into a floating prison. :oops:
  4. Just think of the Revenue, The Italian Job & In the name of the father was filmed at Kilmainham as the cells are intact.
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I heard they were looking to convert it into a 'trendy' hotel or apartments.
  6. Thats what it appeared to have been bought for when i last looked.

7. Aren't the apartments to be on the Girdwood site?
    The Jail and in particular the tunnel to the courthouse are being touted as a museum in the literature that's knocking about. Kilmainham is cited as model in same.
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

They seem to be developing the whole area around there, The's a lot of new homes up the Crum on the Shankill side but the area around the jail always looks like a slum area to me!
  9. Some of the proposed plans are a museum with a virtual trial, a virtual imprisonment, some virtual hunger strikers perhaps, some virtual beatings (allegedly) and then off to Paddy O'Connell's tearoom for tea and cakes at a price that would virtually break the bank.

That's of course if they can raise the virtual funds.
  10. Hunger Striker cakes? You can eat as many as you want and still lose weight?
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

So Castlereagh holding centre's on the bus tour as well?
  12. If you want but no 'dirty protests' at the cost of them.

It has been stated that Crumlin Road Jail has the commercial prospects of Alcatraz.

I'm all for redevelopment but to turn it into some sort of theme park does grip my shite a bit.

If it hadn't been listed the whole thing would be flat and just another branch of Tescos.
  13. As I said in my other post, there is a danger between keeping some memories alive and turning the whole of NI and parts of 'down south' into some glorified theme park for those who seem to revel in this sort of thing and are usually found hampering the emergency services at car crashes.

I think Castlereagh is after the petrol bomb demonstrations and just before lunch at the former INLA Staff Canteen or better known as a pizza restaurant just off the Dublin Road.