Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by h301593, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very much a bone question, but something ive been wondering over the last few seconds:

Why is it that there are differant helmet mounting brackets for our night vision systems? Is it to identify who has what system? Cheaper to keep mounting systems standard for the kit? One would think it would be much easier to have one helmet mount that is compatible with all head mounted NV kit?

Standing by for the usual shit that gets put on bone threads such as these....enjoy.
  2. Different manufacturers and different dates of procurement

No doubt, it is because the original scheme the items were purchased under (UOR or continuing core re-equipment plan) didn't have the time or money to specify commonality of mounts, also, playing devils advocate, would a soldier need to be equipped with both systems at the same time?? if not, no real reason to have a common mounting system.

Would it be a good idea to have a common system - yes.
  3. Did it not also depend on your role. Most were issued with the monacle as it was better should they need to fire their weapon.

As an EOD Operator I used the bino type (lucie?) as this was better for close in work requiring a level of depth perception.
  4. From what ive been told lucie is issued mostly to drivers/EOD/vallon men. But then again, ive read on one of the briefing notes about 'new' section level kit that there will be 2 of each system per fireteam.
  5. Is it any good for a section though? Will the guys have sufficient time to train with it? If not it can create more problems than it solves.

I was quite proficient using it to deal with devices, but out on a night move when I was using it, I turned to help someone up that had slipped, by the time I turned back I had lost the guy in front. Fortunately someone with a monacle spotted them on the other side of the field.
  6. Lucie is two eye pieces, but single lens looking out, so no good for depth perception. The twin eye one is/was sf issue, as almost everyone now still gets the monocles. They are pretty good if you have your LLM zeroed, no need for sights at shorter ranges.