HMAV - what happened to them

I served on HMAV Arakan from 1986 to 1988, last time I saw any of the vessels was at the 50th anniversary of D Day celebrations in France.

What happened to them?

Bob - Ex R Sigs

think they got replaced by summat a bit more stylish mate, but probably just the same old "chuggers" they always were, check out this thread for picys.

come to think of it, ARAKAN, ARROMANCHES< ARDENNES, ARREZZO, ANTWERP, were all Singapore flotilla, had some good runs ashore wi some of their lads, They were all on a Trot at Pulau Brani, and uised to ramp down at Tanjong Belayer hard.

Both ships were decomissioned around 97. Last seen tied up in Kent. As for being replaced by something more stylish no chance of that.

I last saw both Ardennes & arakan tied up in the disused HMS dolphin in 1999 , I heard on the grape vine that they went to peru to be used as car ferries............. :? ( no change there then ). Shame I loved serving on those vessels.

Both ships are (still) moored up in Lowestoft. Try Google Maps at "http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Harbour+Rd,+Lowestoft,+Suffolk+NR32,+United+Kingdom&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.030273,27.37793&ie=UTF8&lr=lang_en&cd=1&geocode=0,52.476814,1.717602&ll=52.475566,1.729832&spn=0.001387,0.003342&t=h&z=19" to see them.
The satellite photo shows both ships alongside, where they have been for several years. They supposedly were sold off to be converted for oil exploration in Nigeria, but never left Lowestoft. They look pretty sorry nowadays. According to the harbour masters' office, they are still waiting to be transported to Africa ... ...
PAW - OC HMAV Ardennes 1994/97.

Was it right that an inexperienced officer brought a certain HMAV into shallow waters off the East Coast of our fair isles on an EX in 1997/8'ish. The outcome being one very badly damaged hull.

I heard this story within a short period of time of it 'supposedly' happening. I've often wondered if there was any truth in it?

Edited for being in a time warp.

I was on MPC(A) with the marine engineer/electrician from the Arakan in '95, what a top bloke shuggy was!

Detmolderstrasse said:
Was it right that an inexperienced officer brought a certain HMAV into shallow waters off the East Coast of our fair isles on an EX in 1997/8'ish. The outcome being one very badly damaged hull.

I heard this story within a short period of time of it 'supposedly' happening. I've often wondered if there was any truth in it?

Edited for being in a time warp.
I was serving onboard Arakan (may she rest in peace) 97-99 (I was the last serving Royal Signals solder onboard) and I don't remember having any accident like that and I don't remember Ardennes having any accident either?? Then again, my memory is not what it used to be! Definately not the Arakan though..

I know that The "Can" hit a rather large rock up in Scotland in the late eighties v early nineties. Dined out on many occasions on the subject with the Skipper of the vessel at that time - or was it just pi-s taking?.

i think you wll find it was 1987 and it was the ardennes i remember it well only a fourty degree list the refit was at fas and we the crew had a great time finding things to do.

Arakan did run aground on the East Coast during some exercise however the damage was relatively minor. The annoying thing was that she had just done a refit in Liverpool prior to this bump then she was sold about a year later. who knows by now you could be shaving with her.
And just to note I served on Arakan and Ardennes in the 80's and 90's

I was there...well on its sister at the time. A Staff Sgt (the name escapes me) sallow skin short nick name Pid, was OIC at te time. Skipper well pigged off, we had fun sailing by with banners over the side..."rock on..."

His name came to me this morning...Farrell. first name Andy?? dislikable little git at the time many deckhands happy it was him and hopeing he would get busted down to the lower mess...

Whatever happened to some of the others Pinky, Brad, Chic, Brummie, YoYo, Jock, Shuggy, Nipple, BubCraskie, Airfix etc?? anyone know??

I was another member of the Arakan crew from '84 to '89 and remember the grounding incident. :D "Rock On". 'Joanas' also brings back great memories. :wink: Is it still there?

Probably not, I went back to Pompey last year for a weekend, Gunwharf is unrecognisable now, new housing and a shopping centre there now, gone is all that history.

Old Pompey still looks similar though, and it was pleasant walking down to Southsea from Gunwharf. Happy Memories......

Oops yes the " KAN" did run aground I was up in the hebs, I was on it 88-89 (the lancejack siggys) down in the crews mess we were complainin that the "fresh" water tasted funny, upstairs didnt believe us until one rough day the water started to flood back up into one of the bunks down below. :eek:

HMAV Arakan and Ardennes are lying alongside in Lowestoft.Been there for years and as you can imagine looking rough. Took some pics last time I was up there but you really don't want to see them.All the plans for resale oversees fell through. I pass them regularly and think of the good times. Jo Arlow. ME 69-92